This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Read AXI problem on kria KV260

Hi,

I have a problem with the signals that i received on my slave for the PS. The problem its when I declared not cacheable the memory spaced asigned to the interfaces of the M_AXI_XX (XX its LPD or FPD depends of the core) the behavior changes.

The three write channels works at expected but when you ask for a reading the signals change. 

Am example its:

memcpy(0xA0000000 , datos,8);

memcpy(datos_read,0xA0000000,8);

The axi_width its 4 bytes and the memory is aligned with 8 bytes. The core of the APU its a cortexa_53 with a bus width of 16 bytes.

On this case the values of the signals on the write channel are AWSIZE = 2 and AWLEN = 1 which its interpreted as a writing of 8 bytes and the values of the signals on the read channel are AWSIZE = 2 and AWLEN = 3 which its interpreted as a reading of 16 bytes.

When I change the axi_width to 16 bytes.

On this case the values of the signals on the write channel are AWSIZE = 4 and AWLEN = 0 which its interpreted as a writing of 16 bytes and the values of the signals on the read channel are AWSIZE = 3 and AWLEN = 0 which its interpreted as a reading of 16 bytes but in this case the Write Strobes signals are enabled with a value of FF00 therefore the reading should be 8 bytes.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on. I'd appreciate it.

PD: The AXI its declared as a full AXI transfer.

Parents
  • The question is probably better suited for posting on a Xilinx message board, but just looking at this from an AXI perspective...

You are getting a bit confused with the AXI signal names as you use AW signal names for both read and write transfers.

On the 32-bit bus (axi_width = 4 bytes), the write transaction uses AWSIZE=2 (32-bit, 4 bytes) and AWLEN=1 (2 transfers), so a maximum of 8 bytes written (depending on what WSTRB indicated).

Then the read access on the 32-bit bus uses ARSIZE(?)=2 (32-bit) and ARLEN(?)=3 (4 transfers), so 16 bytes as you stated. This does make me wonder if the transaction was actually performed as cacheable, so fetching in a full cache line of 16 bytes into the A53, even though only 8 bytes were needed. What did ARCACHE indicate for this transaction ?

Then on the 128-bit bus (axi_width = 16 bytes), the write transaction uses AWSIZE=4 (128-bit, 16 bytes) and AWLEN=0 (1 transfer), so yes, 16 bytes. You later mention that WSTRB=FF00 for the read, but as there are no WSTRB signals on read transactions I assume you meant for this write, so only 8 bytes actually requested.

However as AWADDR=0xA000_0000 I would have expected WSTRB to be 00FF so that it is the lowest 8 bytes that were written. Can you check the WSTRB value, or else was AWADDR driven to 0xA0000008 which would then mean you are using the upper half of the 128-bit data bus for the 8 byte write, and so WSTRB could then be FF00 ?

Then the final read, using ARLEN(?)=3 (64-bit, 8 bytes) and AWLEN=0 (1 transfer), you have an 8-byte read, not the 16 bytes you describe. Can you check that ARSIZE was not actually 4 for this transfer so that it is a 16-byte read, which would then match the 16-byte (possibly cacheable) read we saw earlier ?

Hopefully that gives you a few facts to check in your question so that it reads more clearly, but I would think that as you are asking about a Xilinx board implementation of an AXI system it would be better asking on a Xilinx forum (unless anyone here knows what the issue might be).

• The question is probably better suited for posting on a Xilinx message board, but just looking at this from an AXI perspective...

You are getting a bit confused with the AXI signal names as you use AW signal names for both read and write transfers.

On the 32-bit bus (axi_width = 4 bytes), the write transaction uses AWSIZE=2 (32-bit, 4 bytes) and AWLEN=1 (2 transfers), so a maximum of 8 bytes written (depending on what WSTRB indicated).

Then the read access on the 32-bit bus uses ARSIZE(?)=2 (32-bit) and ARLEN(?)=3 (4 transfers), so 16 bytes as you stated. This does make me wonder if the transaction was actually performed as cacheable, so fetching in a full cache line of 16 bytes into the A53, even though only 8 bytes were needed. What did ARCACHE indicate for this transaction ?

Then on the 128-bit bus (axi_width = 16 bytes), the write transaction uses AWSIZE=4 (128-bit, 16 bytes) and AWLEN=0 (1 transfer), so yes, 16 bytes. You later mention that WSTRB=FF00 for the read, but as there are no WSTRB signals on read transactions I assume you meant for this write, so only 8 bytes actually requested.

However as AWADDR=0xA000_0000 I would have expected WSTRB to be 00FF so that it is the lowest 8 bytes that were written. Can you check the WSTRB value, or else was AWADDR driven to 0xA0000008 which would then mean you are using the upper half of the 128-bit data bus for the 8 byte write, and so WSTRB could then be FF00 ?

Then the final read, using ARLEN(?)=3 (64-bit, 8 bytes) and AWLEN=0 (1 transfer), you have an 8-byte read, not the 16 bytes you describe. Can you check that ARSIZE was not actually 4 for this transfer so that it is a 16-byte read, which would then match the 16-byte (possibly cacheable) read we saw earlier ?

Hopefully that gives you a few facts to check in your question so that it reads more clearly, but I would think that as you are asking about a Xilinx board implementation of an AXI system it would be better asking on a Xilinx forum (unless anyone here knows what the issue might be).

Children