This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What's the relationship between exclusive access and memory cacheable in Cortex A53?

Hello community and experts,

I am doing an experiment on Cortex-A53 which executes some exclusive access instructions such as 'ldaxr'.

When I config memory to Normal type+cacheable, 'ldaxr' can execute well. But if I config memory to Normal type+non-cacheable, it will generate exception when execute 'ldaxr'.

Must the memory of exclusive instructions access be cacheable in Cortex-A53?

Thanks for your attention!

Best Regards,

Emmy

Parents
  • The ARMv8-A manual states this:

"For shareable memory locations, in some implementations and for some memory types, the properties of the global
    monitor require functionality outside the PE. Some system implementations might not implement this functionality
    for all locations of memory. In particular, this can apply to:
    • Any type of memory in the system implementation that does not support hardware cache coherency.
    • Non-cacheable memory, or memory treated as Non-cacheable, in an implementation that does support
    hardware cache coherency."

Seems, as it could be that A53 does not support exclusiveness in non-cached RAM.

• The ARMv8-A manual states this:

"For shareable memory locations, in some implementations and for some memory types, the properties of the global
    monitor require functionality outside the PE. Some system implementations might not implement this functionality
    for all locations of memory. In particular, this can apply to:
    • Any type of memory in the system implementation that does not support hardware cache coherency.
    • Non-cacheable memory, or memory treated as Non-cacheable, in an implementation that does support
    hardware cache coherency."

Seems, as it could be that A53 does not support exclusiveness in non-cached RAM.

Children