This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it possible to directly connect an AXI4-Lite master with AXI4 Slave?

I have an AXI4-Lite master BFM. I need to connect it to a slave that I have found to use AXI4. In this scenario the master is using a simplified version of the AXI4 than the slave. Is it possible to connect the two sides without involving a third component in between them?

Parents
  • Have a look at table B1-2 "Full AXI and AXI4-Lite interoperability" in the current AXI protocol document as this covers all possible combinations of AXI and AXI4-lite transaction sources ("managers") and targets ("subordinates").

The answer to your question is "yes", as shown in line 3 of the above table, described as "Fully operational".

AXI4-lite is a subset of AXI4, so your BFM can only generate a subset of transactions that your AXI4 target should be designed to support, and any unused AXI4 target inputs would be tied off to static values as described in section B1.1.1. The only AXI4 target response that is not supported by an AXI4-lite source is an EXOKAY (exclusive okay) response, which the AXI4 target would not be returning as the AXI4-lite BFM source cannot generate exclusive transactions, so no problem.

• Have a look at table B1-2 "Full AXI and AXI4-Lite interoperability" in the current AXI protocol document as this covers all possible combinations of AXI and AXI4-lite transaction sources ("managers") and targets ("subordinates").

The answer to your question is "yes", as shown in line 3 of the above table, described as "Fully operational".

AXI4-lite is a subset of AXI4, so your BFM can only generate a subset of transactions that your AXI4 target should be designed to support, and any unused AXI4 target inputs would be tied off to static values as described in section B1.1.1. The only AXI4 target response that is not supported by an AXI4-lite source is an EXOKAY (exclusive okay) response, which the AXI4 target would not be returning as the AXI4-lite BFM source cannot generate exclusive transactions, so no problem.

Children