This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

General aspects using a Discovery Board with a STM32F407VG and uVision from Keil and SW4STM32 fon AC6

Hello, some time ago I started to play with CortexM4,

I bought a Discovery Board with a STM32F407VG in order to be programmed with uVision from Keil.

I am developing a project where the money is very restricted, that's why I was using a free licence from Keil.

Everything was working fine until I exceed the program size of 32KB(now I need to pay the license if I want to continue for this way).

I started to look for other option, and gnu-arm-none-eabi with Eclipse seems to be the answer.

The big problem are the peripherals: I need to use UART(to output message on debugging time using the famous "printf()") and SDIO to log some variables from different sensors that require I2C.

In general terms: what are the aspects that I need to consider when I switch those IDEs: from uVision to "System Workbench for STM32" known as SW4STM32.

Parents
  • «i marianojb and welcome to the community!

The STM32F407 Discovery board is a great choice; a wonderful board, which I have as well.

I'm using gcc with openocd myself.

This is a setup without ilg's Eclipse, simply because I'm on a platform that does not work with any of the pre-compiled toolchains.

Even if I'm not using Eclipse, I certainly will recommend it for anyone who is programming ARM devices.

You can use the UART and printf as usual, but I'm not sure which program you will want to use to capture the debug output from your device.

You could use a normal terminal program (I've written my own program for capturing debug output).

As Eclipse has many features that I do not know about, it might already be able to capture and display output from the terminal; I'm hoping that ilg will chip in with some comments here.

• «i marianojb and welcome to the community!

The STM32F407 Discovery board is a great choice; a wonderful board, which I have as well.

I'm using gcc with openocd myself.

This is a setup without ilg's Eclipse, simply because I'm on a platform that does not work with any of the pre-compiled toolchains.

Even if I'm not using Eclipse, I certainly will recommend it for anyone who is programming ARM devices.

You can use the UART and printf as usual, but I'm not sure which program you will want to use to capture the debug output from your device.

You could use a normal terminal program (I've written my own program for capturing debug output).

As Eclipse has many features that I do not know about, it might already be able to capture and display output from the terminal; I'm hoping that ilg will chip in with some comments here.

Children