This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pack Installer

I am new to keil software. I just want to know one thing, it is necessary to install files
from pack installer. Can i create the project without selecting any file from software pack
writing my own code using SFR available in microcontroller, i.e. without using any standard
library.

In simple my question "is it compulsory to use software pack while working on keil".

• "is it compulsory to use software pack while working on keil"?

No, you can write all the software yourself.

is it necessary to install files from pack installer?

You are free to not use anything from the packs that you install, but you are going to find that it is best to install the packs for the controllers you want to use. They provide the Flash algorithms for loading your executable and usually the .h files you will need to write the stuff yourself. Sometimes the .h files are better from somewhere else or meet your needs better. They may provide drivers that you are free not to use if you do not want. They can be helpful when you are writing your own drivers to more quickly understand how to use the registers. Just because you downloaded the pack does not mean you need to use anything from it.

Can i create the project without selecting any file from software pack
    writing my own code using SFR available in microcontroller, i.e. without using any standard
    library.

Yes

• Hello Sanjay,

CMSIS-Packs probably work in a way unfamiliar to you, but I would suggest you give them a a chance.

All they are zip files with XML descriptions. The solve the issue of:
    - Chip vendors getting patched code out, or supporting new devices
    - Keeping different versions of code separate from each other
    - Getting code from different companies to work with each other (we use APIs)
    - Downloading only the code you need to support your device, rather than the whole device database

There are some videos and guides at:

www2.keil.com/.../learn

Especially the 'Start Programming' section.

The parts other users initially found 'weird' was that
    - some source code stays in the pack folder
    - How you add files to the project with the RTE window.

The "Manage Run Time Environment" window lets you do "programming via checkboxes"

http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/uv4/uv4_ca_rtemanager.htm

Next set the device specific pins in the rte_device.h file. Again, it is programming by checkboxes:

www.keil.com/.../classic_pg.html

======

If you do not want to use software packs, on http://www2.keil.com/mdk5/ click on "MDK v4 Legacy Support" to download and install the legacy files. This is a large download, but does not use software packs.

Give software packs a chance, more and more Chip vendors, middleware vendors, IDEs are using them as the delivery vehicle of choice for code.