This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Debugging using hex file on hardware without C source code.

Can i debug a code on hardware without the source C code with just using the .hex file.
I have a hex file that i have read from an LPC2119 microcontroller using flash magic tool. I also have a custom developed LPC2119 board with a Ulink2 debug connector on it and a Ulink2 debugger. Now i want to debug the readed hex file on hardware. Is it possible to debug the hex file on register level or assembly language.?
I am using keil Uvision 5.

Parents
  • Can it be done? - Yes, it is possible.

Can you do it? - That depends on your skills, experience, and level of patience!

You will need to be very good at assembly code!

You will need to have a very good understanding of the LPC2119 at the register level!

You will not have any symbolic information at all:
    * No source file or line number info;
    * No source code;
    * No function names;
    * No variable names;
    * No #define names.

Perhaps a better question would be: is it worth it? Would you be better off just writing it from scratch ... ?

• Can it be done? - Yes, it is possible.

Can you do it? - That depends on your skills, experience, and level of patience!

You will need to be very good at assembly code!

You will need to have a very good understanding of the LPC2119 at the register level!

You will not have any symbolic information at all:
    * No source file or line number info;
    * No source code;
    * No function names;
    * No variable names;
    * No #define names.

Perhaps a better question would be: is it worth it? Would you be better off just writing it from scratch ... ?

Children