This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to get Streamline Mali HW counters working on S6 Android 6.0.1

Hi,

I am attempting to get the Mali hardware counters on the S6 working, however the last information I could find was in a post on this forum, stating that the counters were broken by Samsung.

Since then I believe new Mali drivers have been released (labelled r7p0 in the kernel source), but I am still unable to get the counters to cooperate.

I attempted to use Gator 5.21 (the one included with the kernel source) and get no MobiCore warnings, but the hardware counters report only 0's.

I attempted to use Gator 5.24 which throws an error in streamline and never receives any data, "The gator driver did not start properly." and dmesg output:

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 GAF structure checksum is invalid!

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/gaf.c, Line 120.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 GAF checksum invalid

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 331.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 332.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 333.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 ===============================================================================

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 334.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 The kernel binary has been changed.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 335.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 The platform/kernel binaries should be synchronized for running Secure Storage.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 336.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 Please use the same version of platform/kernel binaries.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 337.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: SPID - 0x00000000 ===============================================================================

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 338.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 339.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [ERROR]: File ../../../sec_driver/ss_config.c, Line 340.

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [WARN ]: SPID - 0x00000000 Sec Driver::set_config()

MobiCore mcd: b02|VALIDATOR [WARN ]: File ../../../arch/Mobicore/sec_driver/api/../modules/DrValidator.c, Line 669.

Other Setup Info

System: Android Marshmallow 6.0.1

Samsung Stock Kernel: G920FXXS3DPB2

Any information on getting these Mali hardware counters working would be most appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi White,

Have you disabled selinux before running/insmodding gator?

adb shell su 0 setenforce 0

If you have rooted and disabled selinux, then you can safely ignore the above warnings.

When I looked into the S6, with the older drivers, it got past this stage. I could modify the kernel and flash it, I could insmod gator.ko, and even run the gatord.

I could even connect DS-5 Streamline to the target, and look and save the hardware counters. However as soon as I started a capture, it then stopped working and threw an error message in Streamline.

If this is what you are experiencing, then it appears the problem in the original S6 image, still exists in the latest. To resolve this, you are best asking Samsung directly for assistance.

If however you are experiencing a different problem, please give us more information, screenshots, details reproduction steps so we can try reproduce.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi White,

Have you disabled selinux before running/insmodding gator?

adb shell su 0 setenforce 0

If you have rooted and disabled selinux, then you can safely ignore the above warnings.

When I looked into the S6, with the older drivers, it got past this stage. I could modify the kernel and flash it, I could insmod gator.ko, and even run the gatord.

I could even connect DS-5 Streamline to the target, and look and save the hardware counters. However as soon as I started a capture, it then stopped working and threw an error message in Streamline.

If this is what you are experiencing, then it appears the problem in the original S6 image, still exists in the latest. To resolve this, you are best asking Samsung directly for assistance.

If however you are experiencing a different problem, please give us more information, screenshots, details reproduction steps so we can try reproduce.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children