This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Clarification of external memory reads counter meaning

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble understanding the meaning of the $MaliCoreL2ReadsFragmentExternalReadBeats counter (in the context of a Mali G-76 at least). I have 3 external memory reading counters with the following values :

• $MaliCoreL2ReadsFragmentExternalReadBeats * 16 = 119 mebi-bytes
  • $MaliCoreL2ReadsLoadStoreExternalReadBeats * 16  = 218 mebi-bytes
  • $MaliCoreL2ReadsTextureExternalReadBeats * 16 = 552 mebi-bytes

I can't find any reference to it in your documentation (alongside the other 2). The main reason I'm asking is that an optimization we've made reduced the remaining 2 (as we expected) but just slightly increased the first one - MaliCoreL2ReadsFragmentExternalReadBeats. The increase might just be noise (as it's insignificant) but it would be good to understand what kind of data it refers to.

Cheers!

Parents
  • Hi JPJ, 

Sorry for the slow documentation update - as you've noticed we've added some more counters to the Streamline template, but we're delayed on updating the docs as we're in the middle of migrating our web docs to a new backend system. Hope to return to normal service with some new docs before the end of the year. 

The MaliCoreL2ReadsFragment counter is the bandwidth loaded by the fragment front-end when setting up fragment workloads to be shaded. This includes:

* Draw call descriptor loads
    * Uniform buffer preloads
    * Tile list metadata reads
    * Tile list vertex position reads

I'd expect a little bit of variability in this counter due to changes in binning as triangles move around - the bin assignments can be quite sensitive to triangle size and their exact screen position.

HTH, 
    Pete

• Hi JPJ, 

Sorry for the slow documentation update - as you've noticed we've added some more counters to the Streamline template, but we're delayed on updating the docs as we're in the middle of migrating our web docs to a new backend system. Hope to return to normal service with some new docs before the end of the year. 

The MaliCoreL2ReadsFragment counter is the bandwidth loaded by the fragment front-end when setting up fragment workloads to be shaded. This includes:

* Draw call descriptor loads
    * Uniform buffer preloads
    * Tile list metadata reads
    * Tile list vertex position reads

I'd expect a little bit of variability in this counter due to changes in binning as triangles move around - the bin assignments can be quite sensitive to triangle size and their exact screen position.

HTH, 
    Pete

Children