This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mali 450 precision issue: how to detect odd and even columns

Hi,

I'm working on an algorithm where I need to detect if the current `gl_FragCoord` is an even or odd row/column. A typical implementation would look something like `if (mod(gl_FragCoord.x, 2.0) < 1.0) { ... } else { ... }`.  After running into issues with this approach a quick google search pointed me to quite some good information:

Especially this forum post is pretty much identical to the issue I'm looking into.

I've created this repository to experiment with this issue and to solve it. I'm using a MiBox MDZ-16-AB.  This repository is created for Android Studio. It will setup a basic custom `GLSurfaceView` that uses the `TestGlView` that instantiates the `TestGlRenderer` class. In `TestGlRenderer` I create a simple filter shader that applies the `if (mod(..))` logic to draw different colors for odd/even columns.  I create a FBO with a size of 3840 x 2160 to detect floating point precision issues. When rendering into a FBO with a color attachment of a texture with a size of 1920 x 1080 the issues is a lot less.

In the image below (3840 x 2160) you can clearly see the issue. It should show vertical red and black lines from left to right. 

When rendering using a 1920 x 1080 things get a little bit better, but still not 100% correct.

In `TestGlRenderer` I create an instance of `GlRenderToTexture` which is just a thin wrapper that create a FBO with one texture attachment. In `onSurfaceCreated()` of the `TestGlRenderer` class I create an instance of `GlRenderToTexture`. In the code I've added (a commented) version which creates either a 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 FBO. 

Now I'm curious what would be a workaround or solution to be able to distinguish between odd and even rows/columns?

Thanks

Parents
  • The Mali-400 series programmable core only supports FP16 precision in the arithmetic units, so anything using arithmetic to do this won't have enough precision.

There is a higher precision path between the varying unit and the texturing unit. I'd recommend creating a texture-based lookup table which is the width of the framebuffer and 1 pixel high which alternates black and white pixels. Use a varying lookup to index into the texture using GL_NEAREST filtering, and then use the returned color to determine odd or even.

Obviously this gets harder with non-fullscreen geometry, or geometry which moves, but I don't think we have a general purpose solution to this on the Mali-400 series once framebuffers get above a certain size.

Hope that helps, 
    Pete

• The Mali-400 series programmable core only supports FP16 precision in the arithmetic units, so anything using arithmetic to do this won't have enough precision.

There is a higher precision path between the varying unit and the texturing unit. I'd recommend creating a texture-based lookup table which is the width of the framebuffer and 1 pixel high which alternates black and white pixels. Use a varying lookup to index into the texture using GL_NEAREST filtering, and then use the returned color to determine odd or even.

Obviously this gets harder with non-fullscreen geometry, or geometry which moves, but I don't think we have a general purpose solution to this on the Mali-400 series once framebuffers get above a certain size.

Hope that helps, 
    Pete

Children