This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM software avoids the kernel to be patched

Hello,

sadly ARM software avoids the kernel on my device to be patched. I'm not ablet in anyway to compile a working mali.ko kernel module to get the binaries libMali.so and libUmp.so connected to them. This means I can't patch my Linux kernel for my Android tablet.

Thanks ARM! The tablet manufacturers might have modified the sources and just closed them.

The kernel modules don't comply with GPLv2 as they should. So it's not possible to get custom ROM's on that tablet with legal investments.

Thanks ARM again for closed source even the modules, which is a really bad thing. Opensource and ARM GPU's are not complying.

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello,

thanks for tying to help me with this. The kernel device tree is here: http://www.intenso.de/downloads.php?kategorie=33&produkt=1322562274 The mali kernel module is located in /drivers/amlogic/mali . It's having customizations inside. The source code from the Intenso GmbH must be somehow broken. The kernel is working but what is the use on a tablet without a GUI? Makes no profit. I'm thinking that the Intenso GmbH knowingly distributed the kernel not tested if it's complete. The thing I see is that the original kernel got build by someone from China so Intenso might never have compiled the kernel but have distributed them. It looks like that the device manufacturer Yifangdigital does provide a service that they compile the kernel. Even the bootloader got compiled from them. And I'm sure that Yifangdigital gives a f*** about to comply with the GPL. The devices should just get sold and make money. Behind open source and some companies is just ti make money. Doesn't matter if a lizence is not being compiled. 

zwzhu@midcs-desktop looks like yifangdigital

If we can't get the mali.ko module as a working one compiled, I will just build the whole 3.0.8-ge9ca3e2 kernel around the module. In my stock Android ROM are mali.ko and ump.ko precompiled of course I'll use the mali.ko then. But the kernel is not complying with GPL so LineageOS is impossible... I'm going to have a stock KitKat running on that device stable. Luckily AOSP is Apache 2.0.

• I think I got it solved now. I've taken from an Amlogic 8726-M3 kern source the Mali directory and replaced it with the Mali directory inside my Amlogic 8726-MX/M6 kernel.

So now I have a single core mali module instead of the dualcore version.

Does the Mali GPU now perform in single core or in dual core mode? I haven't changed the library drivers, so the Mali GPU should be able to run in a dual core mode by the library drivers, but do the new modules limit it to single core mode?

Thanks for reply.

Regards,

Johannes