This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Related to GIC V2

Hello everyone,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARM® Generic Interrupt Controller - Architecture version 2.0

PAGE- 38

In GICv2, when using a software model with the GICC_CTLR.AckCtl bit set to 0, separate registers

are used to manage Group 0 and Group 1 interrupts, as follows:

— GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR for Group 0 interrupts                                   

— GICC_AIAR, GICC_AEOIR, and GICC_AHPPIR for Group 1 interrupts.

3.2.1 Priority drop and interrupt deactivation

Page 39

Note:

In a GICv2 implementation that includes the Security Extensions:

• GICC_AEOIR is an alias of the Non-secure copy of GICC_EOIR

• GICC_AIAR is an alias of the Non-secure copy of GICC_IAR

• GICC_AIAR and GICC_AEOIR are Secure registers, meaning they are accessible only by Secure accesses

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions

1) I am a bit confused here. as i read from the above mentioned doc Secure interrupts can access both the groups(0&1), whereas Non-secure interrupts can access only Group1.

2) In page 38 : GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR are for group0, which means they are secured registers and can be accessed by only secure interrupts. and

GICC_AIAR, GICC_AEOIR, and GICC_AHPPIR are for Group 1 interrupts which can be accessed by both secure & Non-Secure.

3) but in PAGE 39: it is mentioned that "GICC_AIAR and GICC_AEOIR are Secure registers, meaning they are accessible only by Secure accesses".

Can anyone please clear my confusion.

4) "GICC_AEOIR is an alias of the Non-secure copy of GICC_EOIR" --> In this case if GICC_AEOIR is the ALIAS of Non-Secure Copy of GICC_EOIR, then what is the Non-Secure copy of GICC_EOIR..?

Questions what ever i have asked are as per my understanding, Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.,

Rakesh.

Parents
  • The note in section 3.2 ("In GICv2, when using a software model with....") I agree is confusing.

On (1): If an implementation includes the GIC Security Extensions (TrustZone support), software running in Secure state can handle both Group 0 and 1 interrupts.  Software running in Non-secure state can only handle Group 1 interrupts.

On (2): In Secure state, when AckCtl==0,  the "aliased" registers provide a Non-secure view:

GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR are used for Group 0 interrupts. 

GICC_AIAR, GICC_AEOIR, and GICC_AHPPIR are used for Group 1 interrupts (when AckCtl==0).

In Non-seccure state, GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR are used for Group 1 interrupts.

On (3): The "aliased" registers are only accessible in Secure state because they simply aren't needed in Non-secure state.  Secure state can see both groups, so it is helpful to have two sets of registers.  Non-secure state can only see one group, and therefore only needs one set of the registers.

On (4): It might be more accurate to say a "a Secure write to GICC_AEOIR is equivalent to a Non-secure write to GICC_EOIR".

• The note in section 3.2 ("In GICv2, when using a software model with....") I agree is confusing.

On (1): If an implementation includes the GIC Security Extensions (TrustZone support), software running in Secure state can handle both Group 0 and 1 interrupts.  Software running in Non-secure state can only handle Group 1 interrupts.

On (2): In Secure state, when AckCtl==0,  the "aliased" registers provide a Non-secure view:

GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR are used for Group 0 interrupts. 

GICC_AIAR, GICC_AEOIR, and GICC_AHPPIR are used for Group 1 interrupts (when AckCtl==0).

In Non-seccure state, GICC_IAR, GICC_EOIR, and GICC_HPPIR are used for Group 1 interrupts.

On (3): The "aliased" registers are only accessible in Secure state because they simply aren't needed in Non-secure state.  Secure state can see both groups, so it is helpful to have two sets of registers.  Non-secure state can only see one group, and therefore only needs one set of the registers.

On (4): It might be more accurate to say a "a Secure write to GICC_AEOIR is equivalent to a Non-secure write to GICC_EOIR".

Children