This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM GCC 11.3 Rel1 newlib-nano linker warning _read is not implemented and will always fail

Hi! Upgrading to ARM GCC 11.3 from 7.3 and noticed these linker warnings on  bare metal embedded project. These linker warnings aren't on 7.3 or 11.2 ARM GCC versions. I'm having a tough time understanding why they are happening on ARM GCC 11.3 now.

Using the linker spec files:
nosys.specs
nano.specs

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-closer.o): in function `_close_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/closer.c:47: warning: _close is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-fstatr.o): in function `_fstat_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/fstatr.c:55: warning: _fstat is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-isattyr.o): in function `_isatty_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/isattyr.c:52: warning: _isatty is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-signalr.o): in function `_kill_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/signalr.c:53: warning: _kill is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-lseekr.o): in function `_lseek_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/lseekr.c:49: warning: _lseek is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-openr.o): in function `_open_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/openr.c:50: warning: _open is not implemented and will always fail

arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: arm-gnu-toolchain-11.3.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/11.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m+fp/hard/libg_nano.a(libc_a-readr.o): in function `_read_r':

/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/reent/readr.c:49: warning: _read is not implemented and will always fail

Parents
  • I am facing the same problem, is there any statement about why this warnings are present despite of setting 

--specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs ?

I can provide empty/dummy implementations of functions that warnings are about. But I am not sure if I am able to prevent runtime errors if these functions would be used somewhere. If this is official solution for that warnings there must be a compile time solution to forbid using this dummy implementations. 

• I am facing the same problem, is there any statement about why this warnings are present despite of setting 

--specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs ?

I can provide empty/dummy implementations of functions that warnings are about. But I am not sure if I am able to prevent runtime errors if these functions would be used somewhere. If this is official solution for that warnings there must be a compile time solution to forbid using this dummy implementations. 

Children
No data