This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

EWARM linker function redefinition problem

In one 'c' file I define the following function:

void fnTemp(int jj, int kk);

void fnTemp(int jj, int kk)

{

...do some stuff...

}

In a different 'c' file I have the following:

extern void fnTemp(int jj);

void fnTryIt(void)

{

fnTemp(3);

}

This will link without any errors. How do I get the linker to tell me that I have two definitions for fnTemp()?

I know that I could put the declaration for fnTemp() in a .h file and include the .h file in both .c files which will then trigger a compiler error. But I have an instance where that can cause other issues.

Thank you for any help.

Parents
  • The C compiler and the linker cannot know that you call the function with wrong parameters. That's the nature of C.

You might switch to C++ (even if you do not use the C++ features). C++ "decorates" the functions, so it will have a function __vfnTempII in one file and you call __vfnTempI in the other. And the linker will complain.

• The C compiler and the linker cannot know that you call the function with wrong parameters. That's the nature of C.

You might switch to C++ (even if you do not use the C++ features). C++ "decorates" the functions, so it will have a function __vfnTempII in one file and you call __vfnTempI in the other. And the linker will complain.

Children
No data