This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My application seems to be dropping interrupts; does returning from an interrupt clear its pending flag?

I'm working with a Cortex M4 (Freescale's Freedom-K64F dev-board). I'm trying to write a long sequence of data to flash. The state machine for this sequence operates in the interrupt handler. This means that in the handler for the processor's flash-controller interrupt, I launch further flash controller operations. The last of my sequence of data operations is short, and is likely to finish very quickly. Launching a successive flash operation from a IRQ handler means that it is possible (in some cases such as the last operation) for the `successive` operation to complete before the IRQ-handler which launched it; and in fact I do see this happening. The problem is that such a sequence where a an active interrupt is made active_and_pending from an internal peripheral seems to not be working reliably for me. I find that the `active and pending state` does not restart the interrupt handler automatically upon return from the handler.

My application fails to field a successive interrupt when a `successive` operation launched from an active interrupt handler completes early. The only way I have been able to reason about it is by arguing that returning from an interrupt clears the pending flag and therefore causes my application to miss pending IRQ-handling.

To support my hypothesis further, I've re-written my IRQ handler in the following fashion:

void IRQ_Handler(void)

{

do {

handleCompletedOperationsAndProgressStateMachine();

} while (NVIC_GetPendingIRQ(...) != 0);

}

This does help, but there is still a small window between while (NVIC_GetPendingIRQ(...) != 0); and the actual return of the IRQ where the interrupt could be set as pending again and be lost.

Is it a processor-implementation thing that the pending status of an interrupt is cleared upon interrupt return?

Parents
  • Hi,

do you want that an ISR should be launched with the same times as the number of occurrence of interrupts?

If it is correct, it would be very difficult.

NVIC would be so designed that the next interrupt should occur at least one more time while handling the first interrupt regarding the same interrupts.

If the interrupts occurred two times while handling the previous interrupt, you would see only one interrupt was pending.

A pending interrupt would be cleared automatically when initiating the corresponding ISR.

When returning from the ISR, the corresponding interrupt would not be cleared and the ISR would be initiated again if the interrupt had been pending.

In this case, you cannot observe the interrupt was pending because it had been cleared at the entrance of ISR.

If you would like to do what you intended, you should complete one interrupt handling before the next interrupt will occur.

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• Hi,

do you want that an ISR should be launched with the same times as the number of occurrence of interrupts?

If it is correct, it would be very difficult.

NVIC would be so designed that the next interrupt should occur at least one more time while handling the first interrupt regarding the same interrupts.

If the interrupts occurred two times while handling the previous interrupt, you would see only one interrupt was pending.

A pending interrupt would be cleared automatically when initiating the corresponding ISR.

When returning from the ISR, the corresponding interrupt would not be cleared and the ISR would be initiated again if the interrupt had been pending.

In this case, you cannot observe the interrupt was pending because it had been cleared at the entrance of ISR.

If you would like to do what you intended, you should complete one interrupt handling before the next interrupt will occur.

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Children
No data