This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My application seems to be dropping interrupts; does returning from an interrupt clear its pending flag?

I'm working with a Cortex M4 (Freescale's Freedom-K64F dev-board). I'm trying to write a long sequence of data to flash. The state machine for this sequence operates in the interrupt handler. This means that in the handler for the processor's flash-controller interrupt, I launch further flash controller operations. The last of my sequence of data operations is short, and is likely to finish very quickly. Launching a successive flash operation from a IRQ handler means that it is possible (in some cases such as the last operation) for the `successive` operation to complete before the IRQ-handler which launched it; and in fact I do see this happening. The problem is that such a sequence where a an active interrupt is made active_and_pending from an internal peripheral seems to not be working reliably for me. I find that the `active and pending state` does not restart the interrupt handler automatically upon return from the handler.

My application fails to field a successive interrupt when a `successive` operation launched from an active interrupt handler completes early. The only way I have been able to reason about it is by arguing that returning from an interrupt clears the pending flag and therefore causes my application to miss pending IRQ-handling.

To support my hypothesis further, I've re-written my IRQ handler in the following fashion:

void IRQ_Handler(void)

{

do {

handleCompletedOperationsAndProgressStateMachine();

} while (NVIC_GetPendingIRQ(...) != 0);

}

This does help, but there is still a small window between while (NVIC_GetPendingIRQ(...) != 0); and the actual return of the IRQ where the interrupt could be set as pending again and be lost.

Is it a processor-implementation thing that the pending status of an interrupt is cleared upon interrupt return?