This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why do you use Cortex-M?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know why you are using Cortex-M microcontroller.

Why don't you adopt other microcontrollers such as 8-bit, 16-bit or MIPS or x86?

The background is that I plan to write a special article regarding Cortex-M on the Interface which is the monthly magazine of Japan published by CQ publishing. However, I cannot say why Cortex-M should be featured because Cortex-M is already famous and almost common sense of microcontrollers. I would like to get exclusive (or special) meanings to introduce Cortex-M nowadays. Please let me know the significance of Cortex-M.

Thank you and best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Parents
  • Jens,

Like Yasuhiko's FYI for Renesas Synergy MCU S7,

Analog Devices' ADSP-CM40x, which is also based on the ARM®Cortex®-M4, can run up to 240 MHz, the maximum clock speed of the Renesas S7.

The ADSP-CM40x may not have much charm to you since the family is designed primarily for motor control and industrial applications and because of the price of Evaluation Boards. The S7 has twice the Flash and almost twice the SRAM and has more features such as security and human-machine interface. The S7 is under development. The ADSP-CM40x is in production, it was introduced between 2013 and first quarter of 2014, I don't have more accurate estimate of the date because I lost the notification.

The LPC4300 is a little slower but it's a two-core processor, Cortex M4F and Cortex M0 both having maximum clock of 204 MHz.

Goodwin

• Jens,

Like Yasuhiko's FYI for Renesas Synergy MCU S7,

Analog Devices' ADSP-CM40x, which is also based on the ARM®Cortex®-M4, can run up to 240 MHz, the maximum clock speed of the Renesas S7.

The ADSP-CM40x may not have much charm to you since the family is designed primarily for motor control and industrial applications and because of the price of Evaluation Boards. The S7 has twice the Flash and almost twice the SRAM and has more features such as security and human-machine interface. The S7 is under development. The ADSP-CM40x is in production, it was introduced between 2013 and first quarter of 2014, I don't have more accurate estimate of the date because I lost the notification.

The LPC4300 is a little slower but it's a two-core processor, Cortex M4F and Cortex M0 both having maximum clock of 204 MHz.

Goodwin

Children