This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How get ARMv7 cache size

Hi everybody!!

I have a question on how get cache size on ARM v7-A, more specifically on A9 (or A7 or A15).

In accordance with the TRM at page 1529 I get the value from CSSIDR register and I compute the cache size. More precisely, I do cache size = num sets * num ways * line size.

So, the questions are two:

1) is the computation correct?

2) why the trm (at page 1529) reports: "The parameters NumSets, Associativity and LineSize in these registers define the architecturally visible parameters that are required for the cache maintenance by Set/Way instructions. They are not guaranteed to represent the actual microarchitectural features of a design. You cannot make any inference about the actual sizes of caches based on these parameters. "

Thanks a lot for the support!

John

Parents
  • Hi John,

1. Yes the computation is correct.

2. It means the values indicate what's visible to the user and you can't infer anything about microarchitectural design from those values.

E.g. A7 and A15 might have same values doesn't mean that they have exactly same design underneath in the hardware.

Regards,

Sudeep

• Hi John,

1. Yes the computation is correct.

2. It means the values indicate what's visible to the user and you can't infer anything about microarchitectural design from those values.

E.g. A7 and A15 might have same values doesn't mean that they have exactly same design underneath in the hardware.

Regards,

Sudeep

Children