Does Cortex-A53 put stack in L1 data cache when the region is marked as uncacheable? ?

Hi everybody, 

I am writing a program to put debug data in the 32KB L1 Data cache, then read back via method in A53 TRM section 6.7) direct access to internal memory. 

I disable the data cache then put zero in DDR at address 0-32KB, then enable/invalidate data cache and do a sum of that 32KB. In theory A53 would move that 32K from DDR to L1D. 

Then I read back the L1D, small portion of the data are non-zero, through the tag values I can trace the contamination to contents near the stack. 

My program is stored in DDR region 16-24MB which I marked as NORM_NONCACHE. The program is approx. 20KB and works at EL3/baremetal with JTAG debugger attached.

What might have gone wrong with my method? 

Thank you. 

User_0182

Parents
  • " In theory A53 would move that 32K from DDR to L1D. "  This assumption is not always valid. 

Given that your code in DDR region is marked as NORM_NONCACHE, Cortex-A53 TRM says:
    <quote>
    If the cache reports a hit on a memory location that is marked as Non-Cacheable or Device, this
    is called an unexpected cache hit. In this architecturally UNPREDICTABLE case, the cache might
    return incorrect data. Because the caches are physically addressed, improper translation table
    configuration can create this scenario. Disabling the cache can also create this situation.
    Non-Cacheable or Device accesses do not lookup in the cache, and therefore ignore any
    unexpected cache hit.
    </quote>

• " In theory A53 would move that 32K from DDR to L1D. "  This assumption is not always valid. 

Given that your code in DDR region is marked as NORM_NONCACHE, Cortex-A53 TRM says:
    <quote>
    If the cache reports a hit on a memory location that is marked as Non-Cacheable or Device, this
    is called an unexpected cache hit. In this architecturally UNPREDICTABLE case, the cache might
    return incorrect data. Because the caches are physically addressed, improper translation table
    configuration can create this scenario. Disabling the cache can also create this situation.
    Non-Cacheable or Device accesses do not lookup in the cache, and therefore ignore any
    unexpected cache hit.
    </quote>

Children