This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DIC/IDC bit in CTR

Hello, 

In armv8 Spec, CTR_EL0.DIC/IDC is described as follows:

I really don't get the point of the two bits.

Can someone give me a  scenario to  explain how the two bits affect?

really appreciated.

Parents
  • Can I say that  DCache clean will not be needed for any cache coherency situation since the hardware will do it when IDC = 1?

One cannot say that.

The IDC/DIC facility is limited to establishing coherency between the DCache and the ICache. The facility does not dictate rules for other  situations dealing with coherency.

For e.g., when cacheable data is to be read by a device through DMA, it is typically required to clean the data cache upto the PoC, so that the device reads the updated data and not the stale data. The IDC bit does not cast influence over this coherency situation (unless, for instance, PoC is the same as PoU, etc.).

• Can I say that  DCache clean will not be needed for any cache coherency situation since the hardware will do it when IDC = 1?

One cannot say that.

The IDC/DIC facility is limited to establishing coherency between the DCache and the ICache. The facility does not dictate rules for other  situations dealing with coherency.

For e.g., when cacheable data is to be read by a device through DMA, it is typically required to clean the data cache upto the PoC, so that the device reads the updated data and not the stale data. The IDC bit does not cast influence over this coherency situation (unless, for instance, PoC is the same as PoU, etc.).

Children