This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

applications of amba axi

Note: This was originally posted on 7th February 2007 at http://forums.arm.com

hello, i have read the whole of the axi protocol. i would like to know the applications of the protocol. is it anywhere used in the real time applications or some specific devices. if any please do tell me.
i would also like to know the advantages of axi protocol over the conventional data transfer protocols. please give details...

thanks... with regards....
Parents
  • Note: This was originally posted on 12th February 2007 at http://forums.arm.com

hello, i have read the whole of the axi protocol. i would like to know the applications of the protocol. is it anywhere used in the real time applications or some specific devices. if any please do tell me.
    i would also like to know the advantages of axi protocol over the conventional data transfer protocols. please give details...

Hi Abilash,

I tried searching on Google for designs that have used AXI, but didn't easily find anything. There are quite a few big companies that describe AXI, so they are obviously keen on the bus, but no announced designs that are AXI based.

But quite often the actual bus architecture used is not seen as THE main selling point, so not all designs will state that. The design company is more likely to be describing the performance and features of their phone or whatever, not the individual building blocks inside it.

As for advantages of AXI over "conventional data transfer protocols", I'm not sure what you mean by "conventional", but AXI tries to make maximum use of the available bandwidth on channels through various methods...

...only indicating the start address of a burst
    ...supporting out-of-order responses
    ...supporting write data interleaving
    ...no defined timing relationship between address and data transfers
    ...ability to add register slices to ease critical timing paths

...all of which are new things compared to previous AMBA specifications.

So if these additional features of AXI are of use to you in your design, you will probably consider it, and if not, you might prefer the slightly simpler, but still high performance, AHB specification.

Or if appropriate, other non-AMBA specs. But I've only really used the AMBA specs, so I can't really comment on other specs as comparisons.

JD
  • Note: This was originally posted on 12th February 2007 at http://forums.arm.com

Hi Abilash,

I tried searching on Google for designs that have used AXI, but didn't easily find anything. There are quite a few big companies that describe AXI, so they are obviously keen on the bus, but no announced designs that are AXI based.

But quite often the actual bus architecture used is not seen as THE main selling point, so not all designs will state that. The design company is more likely to be describing the performance and features of their phone or whatever, not the individual building blocks inside it.

As for advantages of AXI over "conventional data transfer protocols", I'm not sure what you mean by "conventional", but AXI tries to make maximum use of the available bandwidth on channels through various methods...

...only indicating the start address of a burst
    ...supporting out-of-order responses
    ...supporting write data interleaving
    ...no defined timing relationship between address and data transfers
    ...ability to add register slices to ease critical timing paths

...all of which are new things compared to previous AMBA specifications.

So if these additional features of AXI are of use to you in your design, you will probably consider it, and if not, you might prefer the slightly simpler, but still high performance, AHB specification.

Or if appropriate, other non-AMBA specs. But I've only really used the AMBA specs, so I can't really comment on other specs as comparisons.

JD
Children
No data