This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need 8051 soup-to-nuts recommendation please

A few years ago, I inherited dozens of tubes of 8051 MCUs, specifically the Atmel AT89C51ED2-IM. I know they're old - and clearly tons of much better MCUs exist - but they'd be useful. (Plus, it just feels wrong discarding 100+ good chips.) 

Any suggestions what Keil (or other) product to use, which programming gizmo, and possibly a dev board? I'd like to spend as little as possible as this is hobby stuff.  8051 assembler or C is fine.

So far, I've found these but am uncertain if they'll work:

• PK51 pro kit - might be too costly(?) --- is there a set up that just does 8051 cores?
  • Mikroe-1382 programmer --- backordered, less than $75
  • Mikroe-257 dev board --- in my price range of $25 :) ...

I understand that Arduino's can be used for the programmer / loader, but apparently the "C" type Atmel's I have need a more sophisticated programming device than the "S" types (or is that incorrect?)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Parents
  • Seems like a pretty capable chip.  64k flash, EEPROM, and x2 mode (6clocks/cycle, rather  than 12.)  Arrived at Atmel via one of their acquisitions.  Maybe start here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcu8051ide/ (although I don't see 89c52ed as one of the explicitly supported chips.) (Note that wherever these came from, they're among the 8051 derivatives where the letters AFTER "89C51" are relevant to identifying the individual chip features.  Ie, these are NOT direct replacements for an Intel 80C51.)

The usual recommendation for cheap development is SDCC (Small Device C Compiler) or assembly language.

This device looks programmable via UART, but it IS different than the ISP protocols used for 89s52.  Theoretically, it's easier.  I don't know if there are tools that help, though.

• Seems like a pretty capable chip.  64k flash, EEPROM, and x2 mode (6clocks/cycle, rather  than 12.)  Arrived at Atmel via one of their acquisitions.  Maybe start here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcu8051ide/ (although I don't see 89c52ed as one of the explicitly supported chips.) (Note that wherever these came from, they're among the 8051 derivatives where the letters AFTER "89C51" are relevant to identifying the individual chip features.  Ie, these are NOT direct replacements for an Intel 80C51.)

The usual recommendation for cheap development is SDCC (Small Device C Compiler) or assembly language.

This device looks programmable via UART, but it IS different than the ISP protocols used for 89s52.  Theoretically, it's easier.  I don't know if there are tools that help, though.

Children