This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem with user commands

Hi all,

I want to use a user command to post-process the axf file. I enclose the command in quotes to preserve spaces in the path. However, if I also use quotes to enclose parameters in quotes, then the external command does not get called. If I don't enclose the parameters in quotes, the external command is called but the parameter is not parsed correctly.

As an example, a batch file called test_cmd.bat:

echo Parameter 1 = %1
echo Parameter 2 = %2

If I call this using

"C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application\Release\test_cmd.bat" #L

I get

User command #2: "C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application\Release\test_cmd.bat" C:/nXDS/nXDS Interface Processor/Application/Release/Obj/nXDS.axf
C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application>echo Parameter 1 = C:/nXDS/nXDS
Parameter 1 = C:/nXDS/nXDS
C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application>echo Parameter 2 = Interface
Parameter 2 = Interface
".\Release\Obj\nXDS.axf" - 0 Error(s), 0 Warning(s).

The batch file is called but the parameter is split by the spaces.

If I call using

"C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application\Release\test_cmd.bat" "#L"

I get

User command #2: "C:\nXDS\nXDS Interface Processor\Application\Release\test_cmd.bat" "C:/nXDS/nXDS Interface Processor/Application/Release/Obj/nXDS.axf"
--- Error: User Command terminated, Exit-Code = 1
".\Release\Obj\nXDS.axf" - 1 Error(s), 0 Warning(s).

The batch file does not appear to have been called when both the command and parameter are in quotes.

Apart from the obvious workaround of not using a path containing spaces, is there any solution for this problem?

Regards

Parents
  • "is there any solution for this problem?"

Not really, I'm afraid.

The only really safe way is to just avoid all spaces in pathnames for this kind of thing.

Even if you manage to come up with a "fix" for this particular situation, you'll just get bitten again by the same problem somewhere else later on...

Spaces and comman-line tools basically just don't mix - and prety much all development tools rely upon the command line at some point.

BTW:

I had the same problem years ago with uVision-2.
    I did think at the time that Keil's handling was broken.

• "is there any solution for this problem?"

Not really, I'm afraid.

The only really safe way is to just avoid all spaces in pathnames for this kind of thing.

Even if you manage to come up with a "fix" for this particular situation, you'll just get bitten again by the same problem somewhere else later on...

Spaces and comman-line tools basically just don't mix - and prety much all development tools rely upon the command line at some point.

BTW:

I had the same problem years ago with uVision-2.
    I did think at the time that Keil's handling was broken.

Children
No data