This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTX - inner workings of event queue

Hi,

I recently had problems with events (RTX isr events) resulting in the OS_ERR_FIFO_OVF error in os_error(). This prompted me to understand more about this mechanism. I will explain what I know and what I dont know, any input would be appreciated.

When isr_evt_set() is called, it seems that 2 entries are placed in the array os_fifo[]. The first I am guessing is the task control block for the task that must get the event and the second is the event ID. The size of this queue is set in RTX_Conf_xx.c as variable OS_FIFOSZ.

What I dont know:
1. How to flush this queue?
2. Does os_evt_wait..() remove an event from the queue? How? I cant see that to be true
3. How can one check how full the queue is.
4. Does os_evt_clr() clear one event (which one) or all events with the specified flags.

It's a pity the Keil/ARM don't make this information available

Parents
  • If you want to understand the internal workings, you are going to need to look at the source code. My guess is there is less source code for RTX than for your whole project.

There is not such thing as an event queue in RTX.

OS_ERR_FIFO_OVF happens when too many "post service requests" are queued up before being processed. If this happens you are either spending too much time in Interrupt Service routines, you are calling to queue too many items in to the "post service request" queue (FIFO) or you need to make the queue bigger. Don't make it bigger until you understand how long you are in ISR's and how many post service requests you might post before returning to non-ISR mode.

Answers to questions (as best I can)

0) Only 1 entry is used up any time you put something into the post service request queue. Yes, it is more than 32-bits for each entry, but it only takes up 1 entry slot. It is really not overly important what it is, just that it takes up 1 entry. By default, there are 16 entries.

1) You absolutely cannot flush this queue. That really has no meaning. To "flush it" you process it. If you don't want something in the post service processing queue, do not put it into the queue.

2) No it does not. There is no "event queue" in RTX. The rt_evt_wait function is about 20 lines of code. You should feel free to look at it. If you really want knowledge of what it is doing inside, look at it. It is clear that you are making assumptions that are just not true and it is getting in the way of you understanding what it is really going on.

3) You cannot check for this being full. This is not something that even the OS does. It will check for overflow only (you seem to know that from the description of your problem), but that is a terminal error. The OS cannot know how to recover from this error. The Programmer needs to know what the limits of their code is so that the OS will never come to this situation. This is a VERY TEMPORARY queue that should almost never have anything in it. It is fully processed before you leave ISR mode. Items do not "stay" in this queue. (When the user tasks make any OS calls this queue will ALWAYS be empty)

4) These are not "events" like events that would be useful for an event driven state machine. There is a set of "event flags" that indicate that something has happened. There is no queue of these "events" there is just a 16-bit value with either a 0 or 1 in each bit position. A 1 indicates that the "event flag" is set, a 0 indicates that the "event flag" is not set. Setting an event flag that is already set adds no new information. Clearing an "event flag" just sets the indicated flag bits to 0 (and if it was set, that information is now gone - it is not queued somewhere). There are no "individual events" or "all events" to be removed. There is just a state of the "event flags"

• If you want to understand the internal workings, you are going to need to look at the source code. My guess is there is less source code for RTX than for your whole project.

There is not such thing as an event queue in RTX.

OS_ERR_FIFO_OVF happens when too many "post service requests" are queued up before being processed. If this happens you are either spending too much time in Interrupt Service routines, you are calling to queue too many items in to the "post service request" queue (FIFO) or you need to make the queue bigger. Don't make it bigger until you understand how long you are in ISR's and how many post service requests you might post before returning to non-ISR mode.

Answers to questions (as best I can)

0) Only 1 entry is used up any time you put something into the post service request queue. Yes, it is more than 32-bits for each entry, but it only takes up 1 entry slot. It is really not overly important what it is, just that it takes up 1 entry. By default, there are 16 entries.

1) You absolutely cannot flush this queue. That really has no meaning. To "flush it" you process it. If you don't want something in the post service processing queue, do not put it into the queue.

2) No it does not. There is no "event queue" in RTX. The rt_evt_wait function is about 20 lines of code. You should feel free to look at it. If you really want knowledge of what it is doing inside, look at it. It is clear that you are making assumptions that are just not true and it is getting in the way of you understanding what it is really going on.

3) You cannot check for this being full. This is not something that even the OS does. It will check for overflow only (you seem to know that from the description of your problem), but that is a terminal error. The OS cannot know how to recover from this error. The Programmer needs to know what the limits of their code is so that the OS will never come to this situation. This is a VERY TEMPORARY queue that should almost never have anything in it. It is fully processed before you leave ISR mode. Items do not "stay" in this queue. (When the user tasks make any OS calls this queue will ALWAYS be empty)

4) These are not "events" like events that would be useful for an event driven state machine. There is a set of "event flags" that indicate that something has happened. There is no queue of these "events" there is just a 16-bit value with either a 0 or 1 in each bit position. A 1 indicates that the "event flag" is set, a 0 indicates that the "event flag" is not set. Setting an event flag that is already set adds no new information. Clearing an "event flag" just sets the indicated flag bits to 0 (and if it was set, that information is now gone - it is not queued somewhere). There are no "individual events" or "all events" to be removed. There is just a state of the "event flags"

Children