This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem using J-Link while debugging

Hi,
I have an AT91SAM9260 and use a segger J-Link for HW-debugging. The problem is, that debugging does only work on every second time.
That means, if I want to debug, I click onto start/stop debugging, wait for the debugger to load the code into external RAM and then the program counter is somewhere in the program but the main or I get an error "cannot stop arm device".
On the second try (after I switch off and on power of the device) debugging works fine.

Parents
  • Stefan,

I have had this occur too. The solution always seems to be associated with something I have done in code or in a configuration.

Aside from the obvious problems with hardware and external bus timing setup issues, you may want to look at some things which can cause the processor to utilize 100% of its execution time. It also seems that when you do a 'power cycle' the state(s) that caused this issue to occur are removed. That is a hint to follow.

I recall reading somewhere that when you download your code it begins running on the processor prior to the debugger gaining control of the processor and stopping it. You have also seen that once you release the debugger the code you loaded continues to execute.

Your code may contain a few while(1){} loops which can be, at times, hard to overcome in gaining processor control. An interrupt could be firing prior to actually having an ISR to vector to (all obvious but tedious to solve).

You may also want to try and verify the syatem and peripheral device settings on a load and a power cycle compared to a failed load when 'the program counter is somewhere in the program'.

Also try to do a flash Erase command prior to executing a Start/Debug and see if that makes a difference.

• Stefan,

I have had this occur too. The solution always seems to be associated with something I have done in code or in a configuration.

Aside from the obvious problems with hardware and external bus timing setup issues, you may want to look at some things which can cause the processor to utilize 100% of its execution time. It also seems that when you do a 'power cycle' the state(s) that caused this issue to occur are removed. That is a hint to follow.

I recall reading somewhere that when you download your code it begins running on the processor prior to the debugger gaining control of the processor and stopping it. You have also seen that once you release the debugger the code you loaded continues to execute.

Your code may contain a few while(1){} loops which can be, at times, hard to overcome in gaining processor control. An interrupt could be firing prior to actually having an ISR to vector to (all obvious but tedious to solve).

You may also want to try and verify the syatem and peripheral device settings on a load and a power cycle compared to a failed load when 'the program counter is somewhere in the program'.

Also try to do a flash Erase command prior to executing a Start/Debug and see if that makes a difference.

Children