This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Keil and STM32 basic questions from beginner

Hello Board

I'm very beginner to Keil and STM32F103C8.

i ve googled a lot but i have limited info to read and understanding.
i have following questions. it will be great thanks to you if someone can help me to start.

1. Do i need to really install Cube to work with STM?? or i can directly program/debug STM with Keil??
2. which is more advantageous (cube in keil or direct Keil)in terms of peripheral drivers etc etc.
3. i have ordered for a Ulink2. can i program and debug STM with Ulink2??
4. Where is the wizard in keil i can view and i can configure STM internal clock ADC etc etc etc
5. is there any LED blink kind of program i can easily read and understand. (i have worked with PIC micro controllers with CCS C compiler. it is very easy to understand and code).

Please help to get into ARM.

thank you all

Parents
  • Cube/HAL is likely where things are going, so will probably be most valuable thing to learn. The older SPL (Standard Peripheral Library) works well with Keil, and Keil has their more register orientated approach.

Keil will support the U-Link, J-Link and ST-LINK, the ST NUCLEO and DISCO boards have a built in ST-LINK are very effective for learning the platform, even if you build you own boards. Always useful to have a working reference when trying to understand what doesn't work. The NUCLEO boards all support a Virtual COM Port so you can output data to a terminal, the newer DISCO boards can do the same.

The STM32F103C8 is a bit antiquated, there may be some newer parts that could be more productive to learn on.

Older Keil releases had blinky examples, the Cube download has all kinds of examples, and the ST forum likely has some, a quick search should yield examples.

• Cube/HAL is likely where things are going, so will probably be most valuable thing to learn. The older SPL (Standard Peripheral Library) works well with Keil, and Keil has their more register orientated approach.

Keil will support the U-Link, J-Link and ST-LINK, the ST NUCLEO and DISCO boards have a built in ST-LINK are very effective for learning the platform, even if you build you own boards. Always useful to have a working reference when trying to understand what doesn't work. The NUCLEO boards all support a Virtual COM Port so you can output data to a terminal, the newer DISCO boards can do the same.

The STM32F103C8 is a bit antiquated, there may be some newer parts that could be more productive to learn on.

Older Keil releases had blinky examples, the Cube download has all kinds of examples, and the ST forum likely has some, a quick search should yield examples.

Children