This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

View USART1 in Debugger??

Hello,

New with STM/Keil don't "kill" me. (I already went true a lot of documentation)
But now I took the next step "Hello" on Uart1. Configured all settings with STMCUBE
Then added this code in the main part. (See below).
I expected that in Debug mode (I use J-Link Segger) when I opened the serial window and selected "Uart1", I would see "Hello" on the screen.....
And if the debugger cant show the Uart1 data in the serial terminal, what is then the use of this functionality.....?

Setup: Keil-Lite (can this be the reason for my problem???)/ STM32F103VC/ J-Link Segger debugger

int main(void)
{

HAL_Init();

SystemClock_Config();

MX_GPIO_Init();

MX_TIM1_Init();

MX_USART1_UART_Init();

/* USER CODE BEGIN 2 */

char *msg = "Hello";

HAL_UART_Transmit(&huart1, (uint8_t*)msg, 6, 0xFFFF);

• JTAG/SWD debugger like J-Link or our ULINK2 do not handle the UART of your microcontroller in any way. If your application sends something to the UART, you need to connect a terminal to it to see the output. This is then independent of uVision.

As an alternative, you can redirect the output of your application to the ITM printf window. Please see:
    www.keil.com/.../ulink2_trace_itm_viewer.htm

When MDK 5 is installed you can find further information at:
    file:///C:/Keil_v5/ARM/PACK/Keil/ARM_Compiler/1.0.0/Doc/html/_retarget__examples__i_t_m.html
    You may have to adapt the path depending on your MDK installation path.