This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM RL-FlashFS native SD Card corruption ffree()

Hi,
Wonder if anyone could help me. I’ve got an SD card related problem.
My project builds under uVisionV4.73.0.0, C Compiler Armcc.Exe V5.03.0.76, device = STM32F427II.
My target platform has a native SD card device (2GB capacity and FAT file structure) for which we’re using Keil’s RL-FLashFS i.e. SDIO_STM32F4xx.c , File_Config,c (Rev V4.70). My target platform is a custom hardware design.

The problem
The SD card becomes corrupt however I can still read and write files to it from my target platform perfectly well and finit() returns 0 indicating the card is in good working order however:

- ffree() takes over 1 second to complete whereas normally it completes in approximately 70mSec on a card that hasn’t been corrupted (this very slow response prevents my target booting which is how I discovered the card corruption).

- My Windows PC reports 700+ MB of used space on the card when the files on the card add up to less than 10 MB.

- Windows CHKDSK reports the SD card has errors and can repair it; it finds around 24,000 x 32KB bad clusters. Once CHKDSK has repaired the card the used space equates roughly to the size of the files on the card and ffree() calls on my target platform complete in the usual 70mSec time period.

BTW when I make a copy of the corrupted card using HDDGuru’s HDDRawCopy1.10 the copy has the same 700+MB of wasted (corrupted) space just like the original but when I insert the card into my target platform calls to ffree() complete in the normal 70mSec time frame?

Specifically I would help with
1. Detecting the SD card corruption in my target platform, everything appears to work fine apart from the very slow ffree(); unfortunately fanalyse() and fcheck() aren’t available to me because it is a FAT file system.
2. Understanding why a low level copy of the card doesn’t suffer from the very slow ffree() response.
3. Ultimately stopping the corruption from occurring in the first place.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance/advice you can give me.

Paul

Parents
  • One note here - a binary copy of an "intelligent" flash media will not result in an identical copy. The binary copy will only duplicate the data on the file system level. It will not manage to duplicate the underlying storage structure on the actual flash memory.

Remember that the flash controller in the card contains a translation layer as it finds suitable raw flash blocks for storing changes to logical file system sectors.

So a "low-level-formatted" card is much faster because the memory controller will have lots of already erased flash blocks that can be immediately used. While a card that has already been filled and then had the files erased will normally not have erased flash blocks since the memory controller will normally not be informed about file system sectors that are no longer in use.

So the memory controller may have to suffer a huge write amplification when asked to perform a small write - it has to move data between different flash blocks so it can get a flash block empty and possible to erase.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Write_amplification

This is a reason why for example SSD have got a TRIM command - so the OS can tell "this region in the logical address space is now unused". And the SSD will then know it doesn't have to move that data when trying to get a flash block empty so it can be erased. So TRIM reduces the amount of wear, while greatly speeding up write speeds.

It's important to think twice about the usage patterns when using flash media in embedded devices - especially since a SD isn't as advanced as a SSD.

• One note here - a binary copy of an "intelligent" flash media will not result in an identical copy. The binary copy will only duplicate the data on the file system level. It will not manage to duplicate the underlying storage structure on the actual flash memory.

Remember that the flash controller in the card contains a translation layer as it finds suitable raw flash blocks for storing changes to logical file system sectors.

So a "low-level-formatted" card is much faster because the memory controller will have lots of already erased flash blocks that can be immediately used. While a card that has already been filled and then had the files erased will normally not have erased flash blocks since the memory controller will normally not be informed about file system sectors that are no longer in use.

So the memory controller may have to suffer a huge write amplification when asked to perform a small write - it has to move data between different flash blocks so it can get a flash block empty and possible to erase.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Write_amplification

This is a reason why for example SSD have got a TRIM command - so the OS can tell "this region in the logical address space is now unused". And the SSD will then know it doesn't have to move that data when trying to get a flash block empty so it can be erased. So TRIM reduces the amount of wear, while greatly speeding up write speeds.

It's important to think twice about the usage patterns when using flash media in embedded devices - especially since a SD isn't as advanced as a SSD.

Children