This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

triangle wave generation in digital oscilloscope.

Hello there,
I was trying to get my DAC output which I set as a triangle wave from channel 1 and 2 on a "YOKOGAWA 2022" digital Oscilloscope.
I had set the Pin 4 and 5 as AIN in GPIO Setup in the GPIO_InitStrcut and when I connected my pin4 and 5 to Oscilloscope, something happened and my programmer (which was a serial to usb device) isnt working anymore. Is it due to the thing that I kept my GPIO pins as AIN or something else ?

Parents
  • Does your processor support differential analog input?
    Most microcontrollers tends to only support single-ended analog input - in which case the oscilloscope should be connected to GND and just one ADC input (unless your oscilloscope can produce a second output signal, in which case you need to feed that to a separate analog input pin.

But before you do anything, you need to know the ground potential difference between osscilloscope and your device.

Lots of older PC can have the switched power supply produce a leakage current that basically places the PC ground at around 50% of mains. So with 230V mains, the PC chassi might get a 100+ V potential difference compared to a radiator or something else that is properly grounded. Modern power-factor-corrected power supplies normally doesn't have this problem.

Anyway - if there is a significant potential difference between your oscilloscope and your microcontroller board, then you can fry some electronics. Always verify all ground potentials before connecting mains-powered equipment you don't normally keep connected. And prefer rooms + equipment that supports protective earth or equipment that is isloated and electrically floating - i.e. behaving as if they are battery-operated.

Note that in some situations you don't even need a potential error - a normal ESD discharge from static electricity can be enough. Or disconnecting an inductive load.

• Does your processor support differential analog input?
    Most microcontrollers tends to only support single-ended analog input - in which case the oscilloscope should be connected to GND and just one ADC input (unless your oscilloscope can produce a second output signal, in which case you need to feed that to a separate analog input pin.

But before you do anything, you need to know the ground potential difference between osscilloscope and your device.

Lots of older PC can have the switched power supply produce a leakage current that basically places the PC ground at around 50% of mains. So with 230V mains, the PC chassi might get a 100+ V potential difference compared to a radiator or something else that is properly grounded. Modern power-factor-corrected power supplies normally doesn't have this problem.

Anyway - if there is a significant potential difference between your oscilloscope and your microcontroller board, then you can fry some electronics. Always verify all ground potentials before connecting mains-powered equipment you don't normally keep connected. And prefer rooms + equipment that supports protective earth or equipment that is isloated and electrically floating - i.e. behaving as if they are battery-operated.

Note that in some situations you don't even need a potential error - a normal ESD discharge from static electricity can be enough. Or disconnecting an inductive load.

Children