This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to reduce noise in hardware design

Hi,
My question in a general question about reducing noise in a hardware design.
Is there a guideline to follow in order to reduce effect of external noise such as electropump or electric valve which is driven by an MCU using a relay?
I am using STM32L152VD LQFP100 running with 16MHz internal oscillator. one of the serious things I see is effect of main power plugin to keypad input of MCU such that it is like a button is pushed when I plug in the 220V switching adapter power.
Next is when MCU controls an electric valve in start or stop moment such that it is like a button is pushed.
I have used same capacitor and resistor as in discovery board used for push button and used EMI ferrit filter around input power (5V) to my board. I used ferrit bead in series with main VCC of the board. should I used ferrit bead for all interrupt input and all VCC pins of the MCU? is there any other advice like a specific filter?

Parents
  • Power and ground planes are very important.

And capacitors for every VCC pin. Additional inductor in series for analog supply or reference voltages.

The filtering on in- and outside of voltage regulator should be enough to keep the supply voltage stable without anything significant reaching the power planes.

You may also add software filtering for interrupt inputs - the ISR can read the pin again to verify that it wasn't just a short spike that generated the interrupt.

It's common to add series resistors on digital lines to slow down the noise produced when the line toggles - you get an low-pass RC with the capacitance in the wire.

Consider EMI filters on all signals that leaves your board - select proper bandwidth of the EMI filter based on how the signal is used.

Consider pull-up or pull-down on input signals to make sure there is a load - too high impedance and they will work as antennas.

You have made sure there is freewheel diodes on all inductive loads to take care of the voltage spike when you disconnect the load?

It's also meaningful to spend some time reading up on best practices for PCB design, to avoid creating loops that will pick up external noise.

• Power and ground planes are very important.

And capacitors for every VCC pin. Additional inductor in series for analog supply or reference voltages.

The filtering on in- and outside of voltage regulator should be enough to keep the supply voltage stable without anything significant reaching the power planes.

You may also add software filtering for interrupt inputs - the ISR can read the pin again to verify that it wasn't just a short spike that generated the interrupt.

It's common to add series resistors on digital lines to slow down the noise produced when the line toggles - you get an low-pass RC with the capacitance in the wire.

Consider EMI filters on all signals that leaves your board - select proper bandwidth of the EMI filter based on how the signal is used.

Consider pull-up or pull-down on input signals to make sure there is a load - too high impedance and they will work as antennas.

You have made sure there is freewheel diodes on all inductive loads to take care of the voltage spike when you disconnect the load?

It's also meaningful to spend some time reading up on best practices for PCB design, to avoid creating loops that will pick up external noise.

Children