This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

About transferring 4-20mA to voltage

Dear friends,

I am working on reading 4-20 mA from Level/pressure/flow transmitters.
I used to use a 10 ohm resistor in series. so I measured the voltage drop on the resistor
but in this circuit I needed the ground from the transmitter device.
Is there a better method not using ground wire from the transmitter?

Parents
  • Electrical circuits always needs two signal traces for the poor electrons to flow continuously - with a single trace you can just charge some object until it gets the same potential after which the current will drop to zero.

So if you then use one wire and a chassi ground or two wires depends on your situation with noise, distance, etc.

If you do not want a shared potential, then you need to implement an isolated interface, where you might use some coupler (optical, magnetic, ...) before you return back to electrical signals.

• Electrical circuits always needs two signal traces for the poor electrons to flow continuously - with a single trace you can just charge some object until it gets the same potential after which the current will drop to zero.

So if you then use one wire and a chassi ground or two wires depends on your situation with noise, distance, etc.

If you do not want a shared potential, then you need to implement an isolated interface, where you might use some coupler (optical, magnetic, ...) before you return back to electrical signals.

Children