This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hello! I'm noob please help....plsss

Hello Everyone,
I may sound very stupid and silly but I am new to the world of ucs... I just learnt programming 8051 at college and I love ucs and I want to get good at it and I am really good at programming what I lack is the knowledge of the hardware part of it. Specially the recently developed technologies in ucs.

Here are my questions:

After using 8051, I really believe that I could do almost anything with just 8051 so I have started to think 8051 is just good enough except when one needs more RAM or speed or ROM and yes the RTC.
So am I right here? Why the PIC family and most importantly whats this arduino thing? why use it when you can do so much with just any other uc? I am so happy with 8051 but I just go dizzy when all the forums are talking so much about so many different ucs. please tell me what I am missing and what I must read. I have just read one book "The 8051 Microcontroller And Embedded Systems Using Assembly And C" by Mazidi. So tell me what other books I MUST read.

I don't know whats I2C and I just know what is ISP.

How does a programmer really put the code into the chip? for example, what ports should be activated? what voltages etc...

please answer my questions I would really grateful to you

Parents
  • After using 8051, I really believe that I could do almost anything with just 8051 so I have started to think 8051 is just good enough except when one needs more RAM or speed or ROM and yes the RTC.
    you can find derivatives with up to 8k RAM and up to 128k Flash ('ROM") and a few with a RTC

Why the PIC family
    I do not know why anyone

I have just read one book "The 8051 Microcontroller And Embedded Systems Using Assembly And C" by Mazidi. So tell me what other books I MUST read.
    after a while you really do not need any books but you will keep needing the datasheet for your particular derivative and "the bible" www.8052.com/.../120112

I²C (NOT the misnomer I2C) is a serial bus

How does a programmer really put the code into the chip? for example, what ports should be activated? what voltages etc...
    no general answer, probably the most derivative dependent thing about the '51. but you say above "I just know what is ISP" and, but for mass production, I'd say today all is ISP.

Erik

• After using 8051, I really believe that I could do almost anything with just 8051 so I have started to think 8051 is just good enough except when one needs more RAM or speed or ROM and yes the RTC.
    you can find derivatives with up to 8k RAM and up to 128k Flash ('ROM") and a few with a RTC

Why the PIC family
    I do not know why anyone

I have just read one book "The 8051 Microcontroller And Embedded Systems Using Assembly And C" by Mazidi. So tell me what other books I MUST read.
    after a while you really do not need any books but you will keep needing the datasheet for your particular derivative and "the bible" www.8052.com/.../120112

I²C (NOT the misnomer I2C) is a serial bus

no general answer, probably the most derivative dependent thing about the '51. but you say above "I just know what is ISP" and, but for mass production, I'd say today all is ISP.

Erik

Children