This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Casting to a union type without using a dummy variable

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to cast a value to a union type without the use of a dummy variable. My union definition is something like

typedef union _MY_UNION {
    unsigned long u32;
    unsigned int  u16;
    unsigned char u8;
    signed long s32;
    signed int  s16;
    signed char s8;
    float fl;
} my_union;

I have discovered that I can assign a value to the union at initialization using a line like

my_union z = { 0 };

which works fine. It assumes the first union member as the type of the assignment, so ends up doing the same thing as

my_union z;
z.u32 = 0;

except in a much cleaner fashion.

Now for the tricky part -- I have a function that accepts this union type, i.e.

void do_union(my_union u) { ... }

and I would like to be able to call this function without having to pass through a dummy variable first, i.e.

do_union(z);              // works as expected, given the definition of z above
do_union(0);              // C193 incompatible operand
do_union((my_union)0);    // C215 illegal type conversion
do_union((my_union){0});  // C141 syntax error near '{' (as expected; this is initialization syntax)

I get the exact same errors if I use a variable of any member type (including the first) instead of the constant 0. The only way I have been able to get this to work is to use a dummy union variable, i.e.

unsigned long i;
my_union t;
[...]
t.u32 = i;
do_union(t);

Is there any way to get around this, and let me call the function directly without the use of a dummy variable?

Regards,
-Scott

Parents
  • In a nutshell: no, there's no way to do that in a C90 compiler. And IMHO that's a good thing.

In C99 you could do what you want for constants ("compound literals"), but not for variables.

Whatever you intended to do there --- that union is clearly not serving any purpose worth being served. For starters, any such union really should be bound to some indicator to tell the called function which element of the union you're currently using. Usually that's a struct holding that union and an enum as the indicator.

Without that information, the union offers no advantage whatsoever over a plain dumb (void*) or array of unsigned char to transport data of unknown type.

It assumes the first union member as the type of the assignment,

No. That's not an assignment, it's an initialization. Yes, there's a difference.

• In a nutshell: no, there's no way to do that in a C90 compiler. And IMHO that's a good thing.

In C99 you could do what you want for constants ("compound literals"), but not for variables.

Whatever you intended to do there --- that union is clearly not serving any purpose worth being served. For starters, any such union really should be bound to some indicator to tell the called function which element of the union you're currently using. Usually that's a struct holding that union and an enum as the indicator.

Without that information, the union offers no advantage whatsoever over a plain dumb (void*) or array of unsigned char to transport data of unknown type.

It assumes the first union member as the type of the assignment,

No. That's not an assignment, it's an initialization. Yes, there's a difference.

Children