This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OT: One for the USB experts...

Sorry, this is waaaaaaaaaaay off-topic, but I wondered if any of the USB experts might happen to know:

I was at the UK Embedded Systems Show the other day, and got a free USB stick from Farnell.
When plugged-in, this shows up as two drives:
1. A CD-ROM drive, which has an auto-play promotional movie on it;
2. A "normal" USB drive.

The trouble is, every time you plug it in, it tries to play the movie again!

:-(

Win-XP says the CD-ROM part is read-only, so won't let me delete the files or format it.

So, is there any way to get rid of this movie?
Or do I just junk the whole stick?

Parents
  • The trouble is, every time you plug it in, it tries to play the movie again!

The problem isn't the USB stick, it's that the Autorun feature of Windows is enabled for this type of drive. Or, as I'd put it personally, the problem is that Windows actually has an Autorun feature.

My (drastic) solution is to use regedit to search the registry for all instances of NoDriveTypeAutorun and set the value of each occurrent to 0x255 to get rid of Windows trying to run files, play movies, etc, without being explicitly told to do so.

If you value the Autorun feature, I would recommend a more surgical approach. Microsoft probably has an explanation somewhere on their website what the bits of NoDriveTypeAutorun stand for, and how to disable Autorun for the type of drive only.

• The trouble is, every time you plug it in, it tries to play the movie again!

The problem isn't the USB stick, it's that the Autorun feature of Windows is enabled for this type of drive. Or, as I'd put it personally, the problem is that Windows actually has an Autorun feature.

My (drastic) solution is to use regedit to search the registry for all instances of NoDriveTypeAutorun and set the value of each occurrent to 0x255 to get rid of Windows trying to run files, play movies, etc, without being explicitly told to do so.

If you value the Autorun feature, I would recommend a more surgical approach. Microsoft probably has an explanation somewhere on their website what the bits of NoDriveTypeAutorun stand for, and how to disable Autorun for the type of drive only.

Children