This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where to start in embedded software programming - newbie

Hello Folks,

I have an EE degree but havent worked in the industry for 8 years, busy raising a family.

I want to update my skills and was confused on where to start. I have programming experience in C and VB and like the idea of learning to program microcontrollers.

My questions are as follows:
1. Where, and how can I learn enough about embedded device programming to get a decent job?
2. Are there any web sites where I can get more information?
3. Can I get an entry level job if I am able to do some decent programming in C?
4. What other options do I have?

I would appreciate feedback.
Thanks
Lisa

Parents
  • Hi Lisa,
    The best of luck to you. After 25 years in the business allow me to offer these tidbits.

It will be difficult until you reach a threshold of knowledge in all of these areas
    1. The programming language and assembly language.
    2. The development tools.
    3. The hardware platform, not just the controller but the circuitry around it too.

ALWAYS keep the hardware details in mind when programming, that's what makes embedded programming.

Your questions:
    1. Download the free Keil evaluation software and dive into the examples. That's a great start.
    2. There are many, start with Google and go after "microcontroller"
    3.Give it a try.
    4.Try the different job search websites for a start.

Now if I might answer your questions with a bit of dark humor..
    1. Try India or China, that job you're looking for is probably moving there.
    2.More than you want to deal with.
    3.Sure, if you're willing to work lots of unpaid hours while being abused by someone who has no clue about what you're doing.
    4.Win the lotto?

• Hi Lisa,
    The best of luck to you. After 25 years in the business allow me to offer these tidbits.

It will be difficult until you reach a threshold of knowledge in all of these areas
    1. The programming language and assembly language.
    2. The development tools.
    3. The hardware platform, not just the controller but the circuitry around it too.

ALWAYS keep the hardware details in mind when programming, that's what makes embedded programming.

Your questions:
    1. Download the free Keil evaluation software and dive into the examples. That's a great start.
    2. There are many, start with Google and go after "microcontroller"
    3.Give it a try.
    4.Try the different job search websites for a start.

Now if I might answer your questions with a bit of dark humor..
    1. Try India or China, that job you're looking for is probably moving there.
    2.More than you want to deal with.
    3.Sure, if you're willing to work lots of unpaid hours while being abused by someone who has no clue about what you're doing.
    4.Win the lotto?

Children