This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding Mali GPU Hardware Counters

Hi ,

I have read your blog on Mali GPU Hardware Counters. I have a few questions. 

The Mali Job Manager Cycles:GPU cycles counter gives the total amount of cycles, the GPU was active. If I execute a compute workload (not graphics), I should be able to predict the execution time of the kernel should be from Tripipe cycles counter.  There is always a differnce in value  between the Mali Job Manager Cycles:GPU cycles and Mali Core Cycles:Tripipe cycles. What does this extra cycles signify. I know that the values reported by streamline is average value across all the shader cores but still what does this extra cycles signify?

I also would like to know what exactly does the  Mali Core Cycles:Compute cycles and Mali Compute Threads:Compute cycles awaiting descriptors counters report ??.

This is because I ran a OpenCL benchamark with zero arithmetic instructions but still the values of Mali Core Cycles:Compute cycles and Mali Compute Threads:Compute cycles awaiting descriptors  are not zero while Mali Compute Threads:Compute tasks and Mali Compute Threads:Compute threads started were zero.

Also the tripipe cycles counter value should be equal to the maximum of cycles spent in Arithmetic/LS-pipeline/Texture pipeline but even when there are no texture and Arithmetic instructions, the value of Mali Core Cycles:Tripipe cycles is not the same as Mali Load/Store Pipe:LS instruction issues counter. Why this is happening? If I am executing only memory instructions, Mali Core Cycles:Tripipe cycles should be equal to Mali Load/Store Pipe cycles instead I see that  Mali Core Cycles:Compute cycles , Mali Compute Threads:Compute cycles awaiting descriptors and  Mali Core Cycles:Tripipe cycles have similar values??

It would be helpful if you can give some insights to these behaviours?

P.S. I am doing an academic project and i am modeling the performance of opencl kernel on Mali GPUs.

P.P.S.I am not an android developer looking at optimizations

Parents
  • Hi

I assume the cache line size is 64 bytes for  both Mali Load Store cache as well as Mali L2 cache.

For some kernels, when compute total Mali L1 misses (avg misses given by streamline * 4) and L2 hits , L2 hits > L1 misses ? How can this happen?

Also in those cases, how do I get to know about L2 misses?

• Hi

I assume the cache line size is 64 bytes for  both Mali Load Store cache as well as Mali L2 cache.

For some kernels, when compute total Mali L1 misses (avg misses given by streamline * 4) and L2 hits , L2 hits > L1 misses ? How can this happen?

Also in those cases, how do I get to know about L2 misses?

Children