This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to calculate tripipe cycles?

Hello,

I am modeing for tri-pipe cycle.The GPU i use is mali-t628. Through using  DS-5 streamline,I get  tri-pipe cycle data.

There are three classes of execution pipeline in the tripipe design: one handling arithmetic operations, one handling memory load/store and varying access, and one handling texture access.

In theory, tripipe cycle <= ALU pipeline cycle + load/store pipeline + texture pipeline cycle(Due to pipeline parallelism). But i find tripipe cycle >>alu pipeline cycle + load/store pipeline cycle +texture pipeline cycle.

Is there any other operation in tripipe,besides ALU,load/store,texture operations?

• The Tripipe Active counter simply counts the number of cycles where there is at least one thread active inside the programmable core, irrespective of how many threads are active, or whether threads made forward progress.

If there are a low number of threads (e.g. core is still filling/draining at the start/end of a piece of work), or threads are getting a high density of cache misses (so not making forward progress and completing instructions) then it's entirely possible that the Tripipe Active cycles is higher than the sum of the individual pipeline cycles.

In your case it looks like you have the first sample at the start of the "ramp up" so I would guess you are hitting the problem with an under-threaded shader core. Pick a sample on the peak of the activity and you should get a very different set of data.

HTH,
    Pete