This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

prefix sum with Opencl

Hi, I am accelerating a image processing algorithm with OpenCL on the cellphone, however I met a case which had a very poor performance.

The case is to calculate the prefix sum of each row on the image (a 2D buffer). For example, a 3x3 image:

50   32   10

48   45   100

30   80    10

the result should be:

50  82  92

48   93 193

30  110  120

That is for each row store it's prefix sum. My opencl kernel is somewhat as follows:

__kernel void scan_h( __global int *dst,
    __global int *src,
        int width, int height, int stride)
{
    int x = get_global_id(0);

int data;
    data = 0;

int i;
    for(i=0; i<width; i++)
    {
        data += src[i + x*stride];
        dst[i+ x*stride] = data;
    }
}

it needed about 100ms to finish a 3000*3000 image.

Another experiment show interesting result. If I calculate the each column prefix sum with the kernel as follows, the run-time is only 4ms.

__kernel void scan_v(
    __global int *dst,
    __global int *src,
        int width, int height, int stride)
{
    int x = get_global_id(0);

int data = 0;

int i;
    for(i=0; i<height; i++)
    {
        data += src[x+i*stride];
        dst[x+i*stride] = data;
    }
}

I do know why is the difference. So a work around for the row prefix sum is to tranpose the image first and then perform column prefix sum followed with another transpose.

But I strongly wonder why the native row prefix sum is so slow?

Parents
  • Hi,

Your code is performing scalar memory accesses and arithmetic operations. Midgard GPUs use a vector architecture. I suspect in the case of scan_v the vectorisation is trivial and therefore the compiler does it automatically whereas in the case of scan_h it's more tricky therefore the compiler probably doesn't make any optimisation.

Try to use more vector operations, and also try different shapes of local workgroup sizes in order to try to optimise cache locality between threads.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

• Hi,

Your code is performing scalar memory accesses and arithmetic operations. Midgard GPUs use a vector architecture. I suspect in the case of scan_v the vectorisation is trivial and therefore the compiler does it automatically whereas in the case of scan_h it's more tricky therefore the compiler probably doesn't make any optimisation.

Try to use more vector operations, and also try different shapes of local workgroup sizes in order to try to optimise cache locality between threads.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

Children