This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to disable GPU hardware accelerate?

Hi,

I have a board odroid xu3 running android 4.4. Recently I want to compare the performance of hardware rendering (that is, gpu do the rendering work) and software rendering (cpu do the rendering work with libGLES_android.so). Now I am trying to disable hardware accelerate to get the performance of software rendering.

I did some tries but failed. 1) The file "egl.cfg" locating "/system/lib/egl/" manages the lib used to render a frame. The default config is "0 0 mali". I made some modification "0 0 mali" -> "0 0 android" but it doesn't work. 2) Still I found another lib named "libGLES_mali.so" at "/vendor/lib/egl/" and I found the rendering lib is exactly "libGLES_mali.so". Android loads hardwre accelerating lib which is "libGLES_mali.so" here defaultly but it will load software lib ("libGLES_android.so") when hardwre accelerating lib is missing. So I delete "libGLES_mali.so".  Unfortunately the screen didn't work.

I am confused now. Could you tell me how to disable GPU hardware accelerate?

Parents
  • Hi mukeshkumar,

As stated before:

Android requires OpenGL ES 2.0 as of version 4.0 onwards.

As such, for anything to be displayed, you need something (hardware or indeed software) that is capable of OpenGL ES 2.0.

libGLES_android.so is NOT full OpenGL ES 2.0 so cannot be used solely on any Android platform running version 4 or above.

I hope that helps clarify.

Please also note that none of this is specific to Mali, nor ARM itself.

I would recommend if you would like a more comprehensive answer, to ask Android/Google directly.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi mukeshkumar,

As stated before:

Android requires OpenGL ES 2.0 as of version 4.0 onwards.

As such, for anything to be displayed, you need something (hardware or indeed software) that is capable of OpenGL ES 2.0.

libGLES_android.so is NOT full OpenGL ES 2.0 so cannot be used solely on any Android platform running version 4 or above.

I hope that helps clarify.

Please also note that none of this is specific to Mali, nor ARM itself.

I would recommend if you would like a more comprehensive answer, to ask Android/Google directly.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children
No data