This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

mali gpu counter

Hello, recently I am studying mali gpu counters and encountered some questions about the counter "primitive loaded" and "primitives dropped". I refer to the counter explaination here https://community.arm.com/docs/DOC-10182#jive_content_id_321_COMPUTE_TASKS .

It says the counter "Primitives loaded" increments for every primitive read from the tile list, but not all of these triangles will necessarily be visible in the current tile, due to the use of the hierarchical tiler. What does the counter mean? the number of triangles in one frame or the number of triangles in a single tile?  or maybe something else? Could you explain in detail?

Parents
  • Hi seufanghao,

That document explains what the hardware counters means, and is technically generic from a tool such as ARM DS-5 Streamline, which uses those counters and presents the information to the user.

Our hardware counters such as the "primitives" ones are on a per tile basis. Streamline aggregates all of these across the render targets, and aggregates those again over time.

This is because Streamline is a time based profiler, not a frame, render target, or tile based profiler.

The number you see is the number of 'primitives' for that time slice selected, across all tiles/cores/render targets/frames that occurred during that time slice.

I hope that helps explain things a little better.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi seufanghao,

That document explains what the hardware counters means, and is technically generic from a tool such as ARM DS-5 Streamline, which uses those counters and presents the information to the user.

Our hardware counters such as the "primitives" ones are on a per tile basis. Streamline aggregates all of these across the render targets, and aggregates those again over time.

This is because Streamline is a time based profiler, not a frame, render target, or tile based profiler.

The number you see is the number of 'primitives' for that time slice selected, across all tiles/cores/render targets/frames that occurred during that time slice.

I hope that helps explain things a little better.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children