This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Optimize for Thermal

Hi,

I'd like to know ways to profile for thermal. Our game performance is reasonable in a S6 but it overheats in a fews minutes. Is there an api to trottle CPU/GPU or a tool to profile the operations that are contributing more to overheat.

Parents
  • Hi philira,

The ability and location of changing the processor clocks (throttle the CPU/GPU) is not controlled by us, but the SoC vendor.

As I have an S6 with me, here is what you can find from probing the /sys/ filesystem:

/sys/devices/14ac0000.mali/

asv_table

clock

core_availability_policy

core_mask

debug_level

down_staycount

driver

dvfs

dvfs_governor

dvfs_max_lock

dvfs_max_lock_status

dvfs_min_lock

dvfs_min_lock_status

dvfs_table

gpu_status

highspeed_clock

highspeed_delay

highspeed_load

hwcnt_bt_state

hwcnt_dvfs

hwcnt_gpr

hwcnt_tripipe

misc

modalias

norm_utilization

perf

polling_speed

power

power_policy

power_state

subsystem

time_in_state

tmu

trace_dump

trace_level

uevent

utilization

utilization_stats

vol

wakeup_lock

As you can see, you have the visibility of the GPU frequencies, among a lot of other useful things, on the S6 device.

However, you cannot modify these files, unless you have root access to the device.

Android is not designed in a way to let a standard (non-rooted) application to change frequencies, and with good reasons.

The same goes for the CPU:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/

cpu0

cpu1

cpu2

cpu3

cpu4

cpu5

cpu6

cpu7

cpufreq

cpuidle

kernel_max

modalias

possible

power

present

uevent

Please note that not all devices will have these sysfs entries in the same location, if at all. They do not exist for standard applications to modify.

Regarding your original question related to how to reduce thermal throttling, and assuming you do not have access to the processor frequencies, then the main cause for heat in a mobile device is bandwidth.

If you can reduce bandwidth in your application, this should help. Tools such as ARM DS-5 Streamline do have the ability to profile the bandwidth and let you know whether this is a concern for the particular device you are running it on. Note that each device will have a different limit regarding bandwidth.

Ways to reduce bandwidth can be found in our optimisation guide, for example one method I can suggest to do this is to use ASTC. This gives incredible reduction in bandwidth while still retaining excellent image quality, and can be applied to just about every texture format your application can possibly have.

We at ARM feel very strongly about not just low power, but thermal limits, and particularly in the GPU, we do a lot to help reduce bandwidth. To name a few, Transaction Elimination and AFBC all help with this problem.

I hope that helps you understand what you can do to help alleviate your thermal constraints.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them!

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi philira,

The ability and location of changing the processor clocks (throttle the CPU/GPU) is not controlled by us, but the SoC vendor.

As I have an S6 with me, here is what you can find from probing the /sys/ filesystem:

/sys/devices/14ac0000.mali/

asv_table

clock

core_availability_policy

core_mask

debug_level

down_staycount

driver

dvfs

dvfs_governor

dvfs_max_lock

dvfs_max_lock_status

dvfs_min_lock

dvfs_min_lock_status

dvfs_table

gpu_status

highspeed_clock

highspeed_delay

highspeed_load

hwcnt_bt_state

hwcnt_dvfs

hwcnt_gpr

hwcnt_tripipe

misc

modalias

norm_utilization

perf

polling_speed

power

power_policy

power_state

subsystem

time_in_state

tmu

trace_dump

trace_level

uevent

utilization

utilization_stats

vol

wakeup_lock

As you can see, you have the visibility of the GPU frequencies, among a lot of other useful things, on the S6 device.

However, you cannot modify these files, unless you have root access to the device.

Android is not designed in a way to let a standard (non-rooted) application to change frequencies, and with good reasons.

The same goes for the CPU:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/

cpu0

cpu1

cpu2

cpu3

cpu4

cpu5

cpu6

cpu7

cpufreq

cpuidle

kernel_max

modalias

possible

power

present

uevent

Please note that not all devices will have these sysfs entries in the same location, if at all. They do not exist for standard applications to modify.

Regarding your original question related to how to reduce thermal throttling, and assuming you do not have access to the processor frequencies, then the main cause for heat in a mobile device is bandwidth.

If you can reduce bandwidth in your application, this should help. Tools such as ARM DS-5 Streamline do have the ability to profile the bandwidth and let you know whether this is a concern for the particular device you are running it on. Note that each device will have a different limit regarding bandwidth.

Ways to reduce bandwidth can be found in our optimisation guide, for example one method I can suggest to do this is to use ASTC. This gives incredible reduction in bandwidth while still retaining excellent image quality, and can be applied to just about every texture format your application can possibly have.

We at ARM feel very strongly about not just low power, but thermal limits, and particularly in the GPU, we do a lot to help reduce bandwidth. To name a few, Transaction Elimination and AFBC all help with this problem.

I hope that helps you understand what you can do to help alleviate your thermal constraints.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them!

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children
No data