This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need a tutorial: install latest Mali kernel space drivers, please..

Hello.

I need to learn how to install Mali drivers. Both kernel space and user space. I'm using the Odroid XU4 with Mali T628.

Currently, I'm trying to understand how to install kernel space drivers.

As an advanced linux user I know how to build and install a custom linux kernel.

But from the downloaded kernel space drivers' sources I cannot understand how to use them.

The kernel space drivers' directory tree is this:

macbook@terminalx:~/Downloads/TX011-SW-99002-r7p0-02rel0 $ tree -d

└── driver

└── product

└── kernel

├── Documentation

│   └── devicetree

│       └── bindings

│           └── arm

├── drivers

│   ├── base

│   │   ├── dma_buf_lock

│   │   │   └── src

│   │   ├── dma_buf_test_exporter

│   │   ├── kds

│   │   └── ump

│   │       ├── docs

│   │       └── src

│   │           ├── arch-arm

│   │           ├── arch-arm64

│   │           ├── common

│   │           ├── imports

│   │           │   └── ion

│   │           └── linux

│   └── gpu

│       ├── arm

│       │   └── midgard

│       │       ├── backend

│       │       │   └── gpu

│       │       ├── docs

│       │       ├── platform

│       │       │   ├── devicetree

│       │       │   ├── juno_soc

│       │       │   ├── vexpress

│       │       │   ├── vexpress_1xv7_a57

│       │       │   └── vexpress_6xvirtex7_10mhz

│       │       └── platform_dummy

│       └── drm

│           └── pl111

├── include

│   └── linux

└── patches

So what should I do next? Of corse I'm going to build everything either on linux with cross compilations or on the dev board.

Please, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Parents
  • Hi e97,

The latest GPU User Space Driver available for the Firefly from us is currently r5p0-06rel0. The latest from us will always be found here: ARM Mali Midgard GPU User Space Drivers - Mali Developer Center.

Firefly themselves, or RockChip directly, may provide a newer version. You would need to check with them directly.

Our driver is only guaranteed to work with a matching API version between the Kernel side and User Space side of the driver. Simply put, we only guarantee it to work with the same driver version for both components.

Note that this is the only guarantee we can give. You may have mixed success trying a different combination yourself.

Regarding UMP, this is a memory component that you can chose to use. Please note that this is now becoming deprecated in favour of DMA_BUF. Our drivers found on the link above are using DMA_BUF instead of UMP for example, however we cannot say what the drivers direct from firefly for example will use.

Regarding EXA/DRI2, this is required if you wish to have X11 working. Currently the binary for the firefly that we provide is fbdev only so does not use this. If/when we release an X11 binary for firefly, it will use this.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi e97,

The latest GPU User Space Driver available for the Firefly from us is currently r5p0-06rel0. The latest from us will always be found here: ARM Mali Midgard GPU User Space Drivers - Mali Developer Center.

Firefly themselves, or RockChip directly, may provide a newer version. You would need to check with them directly.

Our driver is only guaranteed to work with a matching API version between the Kernel side and User Space side of the driver. Simply put, we only guarantee it to work with the same driver version for both components.

Note that this is the only guarantee we can give. You may have mixed success trying a different combination yourself.

Regarding UMP, this is a memory component that you can chose to use. Please note that this is now becoming deprecated in favour of DMA_BUF. Our drivers found on the link above are using DMA_BUF instead of UMP for example, however we cannot say what the drivers direct from firefly for example will use.

Regarding EXA/DRI2, this is required if you wish to have X11 working. Currently the binary for the firefly that we provide is fbdev only so does not use this. If/when we release an X11 binary for firefly, it will use this.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children
No data