This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to determine some performance budgets in PA

Hi guys,

I use Performance Advisor (PA) to optimize my game. By the way, in PA, I can set performance budgets, but I don't know how to set an appropriate level for some budgets.

For example, for GPU cycles budget case, I can calculate the absolute limit of GPU cost per frame for : GPU top frequency/Frame rate = Maximum GPU cycles per frame.

So what about shader-cycles-budget (Shader cycles per frame) and cpu-cycles-budget (CPU cycles per frame)? I don't know exactly what 'Shader cycles per frame' means, so I can't calculate the value, and mobile processor has multiple multi-core cpu, and the frequency is different.

Anyone know more about this?

Thanks!

-Jinho

Parents
  • Hi Jinho, 

It's hard to give specific values here to be honest - a suitable budget depends very heavily on target device and the content being run.

Your approach for setting that GPU cycle budget is a good starting point, but will give you the absolute maximum budget you can use. In reality you may want to aim below that "on average", so that small spikes in workload don't cause dropped frames. On high-end devices the max GPU frequency is also unlikely to be thermally sustainable. 

For memory bandwidth aim for a total that keeps your game under ~4GB/s total bandwidth. If you are targeting higher frame rates then your per-frame budget will reduce, as that per-second budget gets split more ways.

The shader cycles give a more detailed breakdown of the workload inside the GPU for your rendering workload. You probably don't need a specific budget for these - if you break your GPU cycle budget these can give you hints about where the high workload is coming from. 

Kind regards, 
    Pete

• Hi Jinho, 

It's hard to give specific values here to be honest - a suitable budget depends very heavily on target device and the content being run.

Your approach for setting that GPU cycle budget is a good starting point, but will give you the absolute maximum budget you can use. In reality you may want to aim below that "on average", so that small spikes in workload don't cause dropped frames. On high-end devices the max GPU frequency is also unlikely to be thermally sustainable. 

For memory bandwidth aim for a total that keeps your game under ~4GB/s total bandwidth. If you are targeting higher frame rates then your per-frame budget will reduce, as that per-second budget gets split more ways.

The shader cycles give a more detailed breakdown of the workload inside the GPU for your rendering workload. You probably don't need a specific budget for these - if you break your GPU cycle budget these can give you hints about where the high workload is coming from. 

Kind regards, 
    Pete

Children