This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

MaliPerfDoc: Why do I get a perf. warning telling me to recycle descriptor sets when Vulkan already has a descriptor sets pool?

In my application I need sometimes to allocate a new descriptor set and retire the old one to be deleted after all the frames that are using it are finished.

Because Vulkan has a descriptor set pool, I assumed that recycling descriptor sets was the intended use case for this.

Why am I getting the following performance warning? Is it serious enough to have to add our own pool, on the top of the Vulkan pool?

PERFORMANCE WARNING: [MaliPerfDoc] Code 17 : It appears that some redundant descriptor set allocations happened. Consider recycling descriptor sets.

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Parents
  • Yes, we do not currently implement Descriptor Pools as you'd expect ...

From the document:

JUST43 - Current drivers do not optimally implement descriptor pools Allocating descriptor sets from a pool is like a regular allocation, and should be avoided in the critical paths.

So it's advised to reuse descriptor sets rather than allocating and freeing them all the time.

• Yes, we do not currently implement Descriptor Pools as you'd expect ...

From the document:

JUST43 - Current drivers do not optimally implement descriptor pools Allocating descriptor sets from a pool is like a regular allocation, and should be avoided in the critical paths.

So it's advised to reuse descriptor sets rather than allocating and freeing them all the time.

Children