Good starterboard, C or Linux etc

hi all,

I'm used to use microchip controllers (Professional software engineer), but because I need higher calculation speed, I have to move to arm processors.

For that reason I'd like to start with a starter kit.

I'd like to experiment with Ethernet, LCD, USB, RAM, Uart , i2c and spi.

Because of realtime tasks, I'd like to program the controller completely myself, without os. Is this possible?

Does someone have an opinion about the RiOT board? Or would the IOTboard of IBM/Arm be a better start (However its 250dmips is too slow for the project)?

'Mustc I use Linux or could I use own C code as main platform?

Can, for example, a raspberry pi or something else also be realtime programmed, or am I depended of Linux ?

Are there libraries like Microchip delivers example codes?

I have compared some books, but what book should be a good guide for me as noob in the world of ARM?

Hopefully you can help me give a good start with ARM this way. Thanks a lot.

John

Parents
  • Hi John,

I suggest that you should first gather basic information about the characteristics of and differences among ARM Cortex processor profiles (Application, Real-time, and Microcontroller). You can go here noting that starters should select either Cortex-A or Cortex M

ARM PROCESSORS.

Here are the starter kits from some device suppliers:

NXP Semiconductors

∙ Freedom Development Boards

∙ LPCXpresso Boards

Silicon Laboratories

∙ 32-bit Microcontroller Development Tools

STMicroelectronics

∙ STM32 MCU Discovery Kits

∙ STM32 MCU Nucleo

Because of realtime tasks, I'd like to program the controller completely myself, without os. Is this possible?

Yes, I suggest you choose Cortex-M. For Cortex-A you have a lot of resources to manage, average users would like to program under OS like Linux, Android, etc.

Does someone have an opinion about the RiOT board?

The RIoTboard is a nice platform for Linux application but the Raspberry Pi is more popular. Also, the RIoTboard is priced at $79.00 while the BeagleBone Black is from $48.00 to $55.00 and Raspberry Pi is at $35.00 (or lower depending on the variant).

It depends on the processor profile that you will choose and your proficiency. Average user can develop application without OS on Cortex-M and under Linux on Cortex-A.

Can, for example, a raspberry pi or something else also be realtime programmed, or am I depended of Linux ?

The Raspberry Pi can be real-time programmed but it's CPU is an application processor, Cortex-R and Cortex-M have faster response  and more deterministic. With Linux, the Raspberry Pi can be used in soft real-time system.

Yes, there are libraries and examples.

I have compared some books, but what book should be a good guide for me as noob in the world of ARM?

For Cortex-M, these books are highly recommended

The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M3 and Cortex®-M4 Processors, Third Edition

by Joseph Yiu

ISBN-13: 978-0124080829

ISBN-10: 0124080820

The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M0 and Cortex-M0+ Processors, Second Edition

by Joseph Yiu

ISBN-13: 978-0128032770

ISBN-10: 0128032774

Here is the list of ARM Related Books.

Regards,

Goodwin

• Hi John,

I suggest that you should first gather basic information about the characteristics of and differences among ARM Cortex processor profiles (Application, Real-time, and Microcontroller). You can go here noting that starters should select either Cortex-A or Cortex M

ARM PROCESSORS.

Here are the starter kits from some device suppliers:

NXP Semiconductors

∙ Freedom Development Boards

∙ LPCXpresso Boards

Silicon Laboratories

∙ 32-bit Microcontroller Development Tools

STMicroelectronics

∙ STM32 MCU Discovery Kits

∙ STM32 MCU Nucleo

Yes, I suggest you choose Cortex-M. For Cortex-A you have a lot of resources to manage, average users would like to program under OS like Linux, Android, etc.

Does someone have an opinion about the RiOT board?

The RIoTboard is a nice platform for Linux application but the Raspberry Pi is more popular. Also, the RIoTboard is priced at $79.00 while the BeagleBone Black is from $48.00 to $55.00 and Raspberry Pi is at $35.00 (or lower depending on the variant).

It depends on the processor profile that you will choose and your proficiency. Average user can develop application without OS on Cortex-M and under Linux on Cortex-A.

The Raspberry Pi can be real-time programmed but it's CPU is an application processor, Cortex-R and Cortex-M have faster response  and more deterministic. With Linux, the Raspberry Pi can be used in soft real-time system.

Yes, there are libraries and examples.

For Cortex-M, these books are highly recommended

The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M3 and Cortex®-M4 Processors, Third Edition

by Joseph Yiu

ISBN-13: 978-0124080829

ISBN-10: 0124080820

The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M0 and Cortex-M0+ Processors, Second Edition

by Joseph Yiu

ISBN-13: 978-0128032770

ISBN-10: 0128032774

Here is the list of ARM Related Books.

Regards,

Goodwin

Children