Which ARM development board I should buy?

Hi all,

I have to be pleased to be a member of ARM community, because of ARM popularity.

I am in embedded software development for the last 20 years. Mostly I have done programming for TI TMS320xxx processors C/C++/assembly, and PowerPC C/C++. Now I have to learn programming for embedded software development for ARM processors. So I need to buy an ARM development board to do programming at home. Please tell me which SDK I should buy? Also any good book(s)?

To be a professional in ARM processor programming, do I need to learn ARM assembly language?

Babuddin

Parents
  • Hi babuddin1

Welcome to the wonderful world of ARM.

Choosing a CPU really depends what you want to do.

You can start with a Raspberry Pi to get a good device with good documentation.

If you targeting more the Embedded area and want to have a CPU you can use also later at work maybe a NXP i.MX6 based board would be nice.

The i.MX6 CPU from NXP (former Freescale) is really widely used in embedded areas. It can be found in Machine Automation, Digital Signage but also in Home Automation.

There are plenty boards out on the market to get started. The Company I working for is also offering a development kit.

but there also open source projects available where you can find communities helping you to get started or books in various languages.

On of this community projects is http://wandboard.org/ they also have forum with good interaction and help.

No matter what you are going for: wish you always success and stable development

• Hi babuddin1

Welcome to the wonderful world of ARM.

Choosing a CPU really depends what you want to do.

You can start with a Raspberry Pi to get a good device with good documentation.

If you targeting more the Embedded area and want to have a CPU you can use also later at work maybe a NXP i.MX6 based board would be nice.

The i.MX6 CPU from NXP (former Freescale) is really widely used in embedded areas. It can be found in Machine Automation, Digital Signage but also in Home Automation.

There are plenty boards out on the market to get started. The Company I working for is also offering a development kit.

but there also open source projects available where you can find communities helping you to get started or books in various languages.

On of this community projects is http://wandboard.org/ they also have forum with good interaction and help.

No matter what you are going for: wish you always success and stable development

Children
No data