Can the Cortex-M3 stream videos?

I'm (trying to) build a device that can receive and play/stream videos wirelessly to an embedded system. I wanted to know what would be the best course to take? If the ARM Cortex-M3 is a viable option for this, do I need a separate video controller with it? or can I use an alternative solution in the ARM family. (Also I understand that I am targeting a wide range of chips by simply saying Cortex-M3, I would like to know (if anyone else knows) whether I could through such a wide net or does it have to certain models)

Thanks!

Parents
  • paulstoffregen - Great to hear about other Cortex-M options! -Thank you for chipping in (eh, that was lame, wasn't it?)

Yes, I made a lot of assumptions in my answer above; that's true. I've personally used the 50MHz clock with my SPI display, which is a low-cost display module from China (you probably know already). -I must say that your library is definitely impressive. Note: I just cloned the sources and viewed them lightly. I think you may be able to improve on the character-output by drawing the characters vertically instead of horizontally - I did this in my own code.

The reason I think this is the case, is that there are much more adjacent pixels vertically than horizontally (well in my font anyway). Saving are most of the time when you move the window without resizing it.

x-627 - I think I forgot to mention that there are 8-bit parallel and 16-bit parallel displays available as well. If pushing things to the limit, I believe it would be possible to get a data rate of 8 bits per clock cycle on a 16-bit parallel display or 4 bits per clock cycle on an 8-bit parallel display, however, the display would most likely not be able to handle a clock rate that high. I'm not currently able to test this theory, but this particular setup will most likely require the SCT found in the LPC43xx or LPC541xx.

• paulstoffregen - Great to hear about other Cortex-M options! -Thank you for chipping in (eh, that was lame, wasn't it?)

Yes, I made a lot of assumptions in my answer above; that's true. I've personally used the 50MHz clock with my SPI display, which is a low-cost display module from China (you probably know already). -I must say that your library is definitely impressive. Note: I just cloned the sources and viewed them lightly. I think you may be able to improve on the character-output by drawing the characters vertically instead of horizontally - I did this in my own code.

The reason I think this is the case, is that there are much more adjacent pixels vertically than horizontally (well in my font anyway). Saving are most of the time when you move the window without resizing it.

x-627 - I think I forgot to mention that there are 8-bit parallel and 16-bit parallel displays available as well. If pushing things to the limit, I believe it would be possible to get a data rate of 8 bits per clock cycle on a 16-bit parallel display or 4 bits per clock cycle on an 8-bit parallel display, however, the display would most likely not be able to handle a clock rate that high. I'm not currently able to test this theory, but this particular setup will most likely require the SCT found in the LPC43xx or LPC541xx.

Children
No data