May I know where does stack memory begin in a Cortex M3's memory?

For example, is it at the beginning of RAM, user or silicon vendor defined?

I'd like to know such that I can identify the stack boundaries in memory and therefore know if I've caused a stack overflow in my code.

My device is an LPC1778, and Im using keil uvusion v4.

Many thanks!

Parents
  • Additionally, the compiler/linker work together to decide the stack starting address.  A linker script normally defines the available regions of RAM memory that are present on the MCU and available for storing data.  In case of LPCXpresso, the template linker script defines:

PROVIDE(${heap_symbol} = .);

PROVIDE(_vStackTop = __top_${DATA} - ${STACK_OFFSET});

You can refer to this link for a bit of additional info, as well. 

The linker will also typically define symbols for the available memory regions, such as __top_RAM0 which is the end address of the first RAM block.  This, and similar labels, can also be used in a startup code to set the stack.

Happy programming!

• Additionally, the compiler/linker work together to decide the stack starting address.  A linker script normally defines the available regions of RAM memory that are present on the MCU and available for storing data.  In case of LPCXpresso, the template linker script defines:

PROVIDE(${heap_symbol} = .);

PROVIDE(_vStackTop = __top_${DATA} - ${STACK_OFFSET});

You can refer to this link for a bit of additional info, as well. 

The linker will also typically define symbols for the available memory regions, such as __top_RAM0 which is the end address of the first RAM block.  This, and similar labels, can also be used in a startup code to set the stack.

Happy programming!

Children
No data