Should BLE (now called Bluetooth Smart) be the backbone of IoT?

Bluetooth Smart (formerly Wibri and then BLE) is being positioned as the likely backbone of IoT device communications. But, it has some serious limitations that call that concept into question:

1. It is a star bus type: one central node (today a smartphone or tablet most typically) to nearby devices. Hardly the always connected model of IoT.

2. Distance is about 150 feet of clear air, much less through walls and even with obstacles in the room.

3. Does not support mesh, so devices must directly connect to a "hub" in the star as noted above. Wifi->Bluetooth hubs add cost and then have to be well positioned to work.

4. No IoT type addressing method. Currently relies on pairing and fixed ID (e.g. "Brand_X_Heartrate_monitor") because they assume only one. A URI/URL could be constructed, but no mechanism exists for it now.

5. Bluetooth does not have any method for timed reconnect or other very very low power way to not be active all the time for end nodes. Keeping the RX on all of the time does not work well for a device left for months/years on one battery. Note that the mouse/keyboard approach of BLE works because they generate the connection on user action; that is, they do not have to listen for "commands" when inactive.

That said, what it shows is that Zigbee continues to be very unpopular (for good reason I think) and Wifi is too high power and too costly for many IoT type devices. 6LoPAN is technically solid, but the infrastructure to support it is not there, especially as the move to IPv6 is happening more in the cloud than in the LAN.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • I think that Bluetooth SMART has its target application areas just like 802.15.4, Wi-Fi, etc., but these 3 technology standards stand out in my mind when it comes to IoT. I don't know if there would ever be "the one technology that rules them all" as they all address different requirements in the realm of what we call IoT. For example, Bluetooth SMART has traditionally targeted health/fitness applications, 15.4 industrial, and Wi-Fi the connected home space. What the IoT industry needs is a Software Defined Radio (SDR) that could support all three so then it doesn't matter!

Note that 6LoWPAN is a wireless protocol standard and is agnostic to the link layer. It could actually run over 802.15.4 (and its variants) or Bluetooth SMART, and even across power-line technologies like PRIME and G3. This is the beauty of 6LoWPAN is that it gives you a convergence point where the physical layer in use does not matter. One could even run 6LoWPAN over Weightless.

But regardless of the technology used to "transport the bits", if these IoT systems don't talk the same application protocol language, existing IT infrastructure won't be able to seamlessly take advantage of these "billions of sensors" in the IoT. We must be able to access the information presented by IoT devices as simply just standard Web services. The Internet of Things is merely an extension of the current Web. CoAP (Constrained Application Protocol) (see CoAP Tutorial) will help the industry coalesce around embedded Web services for connecting devices to services. CoAP is garnering tremendous industry support (e.g. OMA (Open Mobile Alliance) has adopted this as part of their application framework for the new Lightweight M2M standard), and what you are witnessing is paradigm shift towards leveraging standard RESTful Web services and data objects for IoT / M2M applications.

• I think that Bluetooth SMART has its target application areas just like 802.15.4, Wi-Fi, etc., but these 3 technology standards stand out in my mind when it comes to IoT. I don't know if there would ever be "the one technology that rules them all" as they all address different requirements in the realm of what we call IoT. For example, Bluetooth SMART has traditionally targeted health/fitness applications, 15.4 industrial, and Wi-Fi the connected home space. What the IoT industry needs is a Software Defined Radio (SDR) that could support all three so then it doesn't matter!

Note that 6LoWPAN is a wireless protocol standard and is agnostic to the link layer. It could actually run over 802.15.4 (and its variants) or Bluetooth SMART, and even across power-line technologies like PRIME and G3. This is the beauty of 6LoWPAN is that it gives you a convergence point where the physical layer in use does not matter. One could even run 6LoWPAN over Weightless.

But regardless of the technology used to "transport the bits", if these IoT systems don't talk the same application protocol language, existing IT infrastructure won't be able to seamlessly take advantage of these "billions of sensors" in the IoT. We must be able to access the information presented by IoT devices as simply just standard Web services. The Internet of Things is merely an extension of the current Web. CoAP (Constrained Application Protocol) (see CoAP Tutorial) will help the industry coalesce around embedded Web services for connecting devices to services. CoAP is garnering tremendous industry support (e.g. OMA (Open Mobile Alliance) has adopted this as part of their application framework for the new Lightweight M2M standard), and what you are witnessing is paradigm shift towards leveraging standard RESTful Web services and data objects for IoT / M2M applications.

Children