Cache Maintenance Transactions

Hi,

I am reading ACE protocol and i am confused about when to use cache maintenance transactions. On what basis should i decide when to use cache maintenance transaction and which transaction to be used?

Can anyone please help?

Parents
  • The cache maintenance operations in ACE can be linked to the the cache maintenance operations executed by a master, such as an Arm processor.  If we use the Arm Architecture as a reference, we can form a mapping between the instructions executed, and the transactions that might be issued on the interface.

DC CVAC is a Clean by VA to PoC instruction.  This could be mapped to a CleanShared.

DC CIVAC is a Clean and Invalidate to PoC instruction, and so could be mapped to CleanInvalid.

DC IVAC is an invalidate by VA to PoC, and so could be mapped to MakeInvalid.

The reasons for using these cache maintenance operations could be varied.  One common reason would be to guarantee that data is visible to a specific domain.  For example, data in a cache might not be visible to all agents within a system.  The cache maintenance operation could make it visible.

• The cache maintenance operations in ACE can be linked to the the cache maintenance operations executed by a master, such as an Arm processor.  If we use the Arm Architecture as a reference, we can form a mapping between the instructions executed, and the transactions that might be issued on the interface.

DC CVAC is a Clean by VA to PoC instruction.  This could be mapped to a CleanShared.

DC CIVAC is a Clean and Invalidate to PoC instruction, and so could be mapped to CleanInvalid.

DC IVAC is an invalidate by VA to PoC, and so could be mapped to MakeInvalid.

The reasons for using these cache maintenance operations could be varied.  One common reason would be to guarantee that data is visible to a specific domain.  For example, data in a cache might not be visible to all agents within a system.  The cache maintenance operation could make it visible.

Children