This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Guidelines on Energy effecient code

Hi Experts,

The well optimized hardware functionality could be messed up by the poor software programming.

Is there any general guidelines recommended by ARM on the power optimized programming ?

Regards,

Techguyz

Parents
  • pravinchanm: It's important to get the foundation right as the very first thing, thus if following Chris' documents, you'll cover the largest area of energy saving.

When you're sure you've absorbed and implemented your code the way Chris explains, and you still need to save further energy, it's time to consult the chip vendor's documents on the subject.

Chris: I really wish I could go to Trondheim; the Memory Access Ordering sounds like it's just for me. I get the impression that it will touch the Cortex-M7 too.

pravinchanm: This topic reminds me that it's important to also optimize your data if you can. Arrange your data in memory, so fetching, using and storing them will cost as little CPU cycles as possible. You know, optimizing isn't all about optimizing code, but it's also about optimizing your data by arranging them correctly, even swapping bits if possible/necesasry.

• pravinchanm: It's important to get the foundation right as the very first thing, thus if following Chris' documents, you'll cover the largest area of energy saving.

When you're sure you've absorbed and implemented your code the way Chris explains, and you still need to save further energy, it's time to consult the chip vendor's documents on the subject.

Chris: I really wish I could go to Trondheim; the Memory Access Ordering sounds like it's just for me. I get the impression that it will touch the Cortex-M7 too.

pravinchanm: This topic reminds me that it's important to also optimize your data if you can. Arrange your data in memory, so fetching, using and storing them will cost as little CPU cycles as possible. You know, optimizing isn't all about optimizing code, but it's also about optimizing your data by arranging them correctly, even swapping bits if possible/necesasry.

Children
  • > Chris: I really wish I could go to Trondheim; the Memory Access Ordering sounds like it's just for me...

>

> techguyz: This topic reminds me that it's important to also optimize your data if you can...

Right. It's overlooked. Nowadays, I don't care to defragment my hard disks.

In tightly constrained systems, where ARM is commonly found, the arrangement of data could bring striking impact to various facets of performance.